XXXIII. wedding preparation

Mulai dari awal

I just nodded at him as I forced myself to make a poker face so it seems like I don't care about his best man.

"Don't worry, Judy is your maid of honor since there's no way am I letting some house staff be a maid of honor," he added with a smirk and caught a glimpse of Chef Florence frowning in my peripheral vision.

I just nod once again. I shouldn't enter into any further conflicts but what he said was utterly offensive. I may not be friends with the rest of the household but that isn't a right thing to say.

"So, any guest you want to add?" he asked once again, raising his brow but I just shook my head. I don't know anyone in this era. Well, aside from the orphanage but I doubt Augustus would let them attend.

Imagine the shock of the guests when they saw a bunch of orphans inside the church. As much as I want to invite them and to piss the Bennett family, I cannot stand the idea of their life being in danger because of me.

Surely, this wedding would be the talk of the night but not in a good way.

And so, both Augustus and Chef Florence continued planning about the color of the gowns and suits the guests should wear. The orchestra they'll be hiring and what song should be played while I am walking down the aisle. The invitation letter design and the photographer they'll be hiring.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of extravagant weddings. The fact that you married the one you love is enough for me, whatever the location nor the number of guests are. In fact, I prefer to keep it simple with fewer guests. Heck, I don't even know the people Augustus invited.

I was just about to excuse myself, saying I'll go to the bathroom for a bit when a middle-aged woman wearing a bright orange gown with this huge hat entered the room, catching our attention.

Chef Florence and I rose from our seats, giving her respect but Augustus chose to remain still as he smiled broadly towards the woman.

"Goodmorning, Sir Augustus," greeted the woman, smiling back.

"What brings you here, Mrs. Smith?"

"I was just asking for your bride to please come with me for the fitting of the gowns," answered Mrs. Smith.

Fitting for the gowns? Augustus already bought the wedding gown, right? Don't tell me they decided to change it.

And so, Augustus just looked at me and nodded, gesturing to me to follow Mrs. Smith which I did.

As soon as Mrs. Smith and I were alone in the next room, which was full of gowns and sewing tools, Mrs. Smith ordered me to stand just a few paces to the door.

"Uhm, why the need for another gown?" I asked as she grabbed the measuring tape in the mahogany table in the side.

"For the party after the wedding, my dear. Also, it would be gowns, not gowns since the Bennett family requested an extravagant wedding that would surely be the talk of the town. One for the dinner, another for meeting the guests, another one for the wedding dance, and of course, for your wedding night,"

Imagine all the fabrics they'll be wasting just for one day for a bride who doesn't even love her groom.

I know I should be crying over the corner right now for this upcoming unwanted marriage but I firmly believe I could escape this era, leaving this marriage all behind me. All I need to do is to make sure I am still a virgin by the time I escape from this era.

So for now, I need to stay calm and just go with the flow until the moment Leo finally has his revenge and that would be the time I'll kill Mister Douglas. I think I could just go with poisoning his drink since it's less brutal or perhaps, I could just hire someone, a hitman who could kill Mister Douglas in his sleep.