Chapter 44 ✰ Auditioning

Jen's pov

'Jack?'

A genuine smile appeared on his face when his gaze met mine. 'Jen?'

I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. 'How are you?' he whispered softly.

I slowly withdrew from the embrace and looked at him. 'With ups and downs.'

He nodded understandingly. 'And how are the children doing?'

It warmed my heart that he thought of them too. 'It's getting better and better. Ivy doesn't get it that well and Mason doesn't realize it at all, obviously. Ivy is just asking a lot of questions lately and I feel like she still doesn't get it.'

He put his hand on my shoulder. 'She is still so young. Just give her some time. It's also hard for her that her dad isn't at home anymore.'

I nodded sadly as I tried to swallow my tears away. 'If you ever need help, or a babysitter, or whatever it is you need... let me know. You are not alone.' he continued.

I smiled. 'Thank you, Jack. I really appreciate that.'

He fiddled with the script in his hands and looked around uneasily before his eyes rested on me again. 'So we are each other's opponents, right?'

I nodded. 'I'm afraid so'

'You're afraid so?' he asked offended, quirking his eyebrow.

Teasingly, I pushed him aside. 'You know what I mean! It's more difficult with someone you know well than with someone you don't know at all.'

He took a step in my direction and my breath got caught in my throat when his face came incredibly close to mine. 'So you think you know me well?' he whispered teasingly. I looked into his beautiful eyes and felt that my knees would become weaker if I looked at him any longer.

'I don't know you very well, but I know you. We spent a lot of time together, so I think I have a good idea of ​​you.'

'And what idea do you have of me, Mrs. Morrison?' he said teasingly.

'Wouldn't you like to know?'

'Perhaps I would.'

He was still standing very close to me and despite the fact that I usually didn't like to give in in these kinds of games, I did it anyway. 'I think that you pretend like you are a very tough and cool guy, like you do now, but that you're actually a very sweet man who is very sensitive and can love someone with a lot of dedication and passion'

I caught him off guard but he recovered himself quickly.

'It's true huh?' I asked triumphantly.

He shook his head, laughing. 'You're impossible'

I shrugged my shoulders. 'I've heard that before.'

'Jennifer Morrison and Jack Heartwood, you only have a few minutes left to prepare!' a lady yelled from the hall.

I started to panic. 'Shit...'

'What?' Jack asked. 'Is the famous Jennifer Morrison a bit nervous?'

I rolled my eyes. 'No... I wanted to practice the scene with you.'

He put his hands on my shoulders and squeezed it gently. 'Your acting abilities are perfect, Jen. If someone is going to ruin this audition, then it's gonna be me. You're a natural.'

'You're not going to ruin it...' I searched for words to encourage him, but I didn't want to confess that I had never seen anything of his work so I decided to remain silent.

'Jennifer and Jack, it's your turn!'

I looked at him and smiled. 'There we go...'

He encouraged me by squeezing my shoulder one last time before we walked to the audition room. There was a long table in the room with four people and a camera with a cameraman. I had completely forgotten how uncomfortable these moments were, but the feeling immediately hit me again.

'Break a leg' he whispered.

I chuckled. 'You too'

We walked towards the table and briefly introduced ourselves, after which we were allowed to start the audition.

'Aren't you girlfriend of the year?' Jack started sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. 'What do you mean?'

He came closer to me. 'You know exactly what I mean. I'm talking about John, you know, that person who could really use your help right now.'

I sighed deeply. 'He isn't exactly being the best boyfriend ever. I can't use his negativity right now. All I want to do is making fun in my life.'

'He needs you... You're his girlfriend, Jade.'

'I WAS his girlfriend.'

He shook his head in disbelief. 'So it isn't bothering you that he lost his dad and his girlfriend in one week?'

'Shit happens... Why do you even care?'

'Because I'm his friend and because you still owe him some money.'

I fumbled in my pockets, pretending that I was looking for my wallet. 'I think I forgot my wallet...'

'You forgot your wallet...' he repeated sarcastically.

I shrugged my shoulders. 'Yeah... too bad, right?'

'That was amazing guys!' the casting director exclaimed when I had just finished saying the last words.

'I had high expectations of the both of you, but you guys more than fulfilled them.'

I looked sideways at Jack and saw a smile appearing on his face. He was much more handsome than I could remember.

'I still want to watch the other auditions, but I will let you know as soon as possible. Thank you for your time and effort.'

I nodded. 'Thanks' Jack and I said in unison before we left the room.

Once outside, he accelerated his pass to catch up with me, turned around, and started walking backward. 'You were brilliant!' he said enthusiastically.

I didn't stop walking, but stared at my shoes and smiled shyly. 'No ... YOU did a great job!'

Jack took my hands and suddenly stopped, causing me to bump into him. My breath got caught in my throat. 'I think we are a great duo for this script'

I swallowed. 'Only for this script?' I whispered.

He laughed as he quirked his eyebrow. I couldn't tell whether he was laughing at me or challenging me. He leaned toward me and I closed my eyes, waiting for his lips to touch mine, but that didn't happen. I felt his lips softly on my cheek and when I opened my eyes again he was gone.