Chapter 8 ✰ The Unexpected

Jen's pov

'Mommy, Mommy!' I woke up by Ivy's screams as she jumped on top of me. 'Mommy! Wake up!'

I groaned with fatigue. I had hardly slept the last couple of nights. Slowly I opened my eyes. 'What's wrong Ivy?'

'Is Daddy coming home today?' she asked hopefully

I shook my head. 'Tomorrow, darling'

She sat down on bed insulted and crossed her arms over her chest. 'I want him to come back now' I saw the tears in her eyes.

'We can call Dad today if you want to? I wanted to reassure her, but also myself. I had not heard from him the past few days. Before leaving he had indicated that he would film in unusual locations and that it could occur that he had no service on his phone, but I felt bad about it. Something was not right.

'Yes! Yes!' she exclaimed enthusiastically

I dialed his number and put the phone on the speaker. After a few times, his Irish accent sounded. 'Hi, I don't have time to pick up my phone right now. Speak your message after the tone, then I'll call you back!'

'Hi Daddy!' shouted Ivy. It remained silent for a few seconds. 'Why doesn't he say anything?' she asked sadly

'It's his voicemail, that's not daddy himself'

That day we tried to call him twice more, but both times we got the voicemail again. Ivy was inconsolable and sad throughout the day. She even refused to eat. Finally she fell asleep, much too late and exhausted because she had not taken her nap.

I tried to reach him again in the evening. This time the phone was recorded but there was a lot of rumbling on the other side.

'Colin?'

There was a loud gasp. I quickly broke the connection and felt the tears rolling down my cheeks. His phone was stolen, or something was really wrong...

I woke up way too early the next morning. Ivy had come to sleep next to me at night and her company eventually made me fall asleep too. I woke her up quietly. 'Dad is coming home soon, darling'

Her eyes immediately opened. 'Daddy!?' she said hopefully as she crawled out of bed and began to bounce around the room.

'Mommy, we have to make dinner. Dad must be hungry when he is back!' I nodded, laughing. 'I think he will be very hungry!'

I walked downstairs with her, where she opened all the cupboards to search for food for him. It was endearing to see how much she looked forward to see him again. She was always a daddy's girl and I knew exactly why. It was so hard not to love him.

She stepped on her stool and opened the cutlery tray where she grabbed a knife. 'Ivy, what did we say about using a knife?'

She was startled as she looked at the knife in her hands. 'This one is only for big people like you and daddy'

I took it from her. 'Are you going to look for food daddy likes? Then I'm going to cut this for you. Deal?'

She nodded, grabbed the pancake mix and pointed to the strawberries. 'Daddy loves pancakes with strawberries!'

I nodded as I tried to hold back my smile. I knew all too well that he loved pancakes.

After preparing the food, Ivy sat impatiently in front of the window, waiting for any sign of him. 'When will he come back?' she complained. I looked worried at my watch. 'He's coming soon, honey. Just be a little patient'. But what I was so afraid of happened. Colin did not show up.

I searched through my phone for the number of the director he had given me in case there was an emergency. I dialed the number and an enthusiastic man answered.

'Hi Chris, this is Jennifer!'

'Hey Jen! How are you?'

I knew Chris from my period at House, so it was nice to hear his voice again. 'I'm fine. How are you?'

'We are finally back and we had a great time. How is Colin doing?'

My heart sank in my chest. 'I just wanted to ask you the same thing...'

There was an uncomfortable silence. 'You mean Colin is not at home?'

'No...' I fought my tears.

Chris sighed. 'Colin left earlier. He should be home four days ago.'

'That is not possible...'

'It's the truth Jennifer. We have arranged his ticket home right after his last scene here. He no longer wanted you to be alone'

A tear rolled down my cheek. 'Where is he now?'

'I don't like to say it, but it looks like he has left you'

My world collapsed. 'He would never do that...'

'Jennifer, a man can do weird things. Try calling someone who can be with you. It will be fine' and with these words he broke the connection.

♥♥♥

A/N: This was one of the chapters I hated to write... 😢

Please share your thoughts with me!!

Follow me on Instagram to stay tuned or follow my Watpadd account!

@ CaptainSwanStories