Chapter 31 Odd Prince

The temperature was high, scorching, if one weren't careful the skin would blister, any dry paper would combust after a few minutes if not wrapped and hidden properly from the sun. The temperature was 172.5 F, one of the lowest temperatures in Vallis Mortis, a desert known to have killed millions and many more that weren't recorded, its sands hold many skeletons within. But for two figures covered head to toe with robes, it looked like they were taking a leisure walk through a garden. The taller figure held a beautiful white umbrella with blue crystals decorating the ends, it was wide and large, able to shade both. The blue crystals gave off a cooling effect, even if it was blazing hot, it was comfortable within the umbrella. They walked steadily without hurry to their current destination, behind them a horse which kept his eyes to the front, not at all phased by the sun even though its coat was entirely black. In fact, it even looked a bit energetic as its head would sometimes look back and forth, not much to look at since it was all sandy, but it still looked excited.

"Where are we going?" Hui finally asked after a full week of traveling, and half a day into the sandy valley.

"To change someone's fate." Ru said cryptically as they kept on their unseen route.

In the distance they could see a dark mass on the ground, it looked like cloth, the closer they neared the item Ru spoke. "Oh? A person in need of help?" His tone held sarcasm, it was obvious that he knew of this person from Hui's perspective, but he didn't comment on it.

They arrived at the fainted figure, nicely built and a head of golden brown hair, long and tasseled everywhere, his outfit was golden and brown robes and his luggage was only a small empty water can.

"How sad, he'll die if we leave him here." Ru mocked as he began to walk around the body in circles. "Maybe someone would pass by to help him." It was as if he wasn't that someone, the way he was talking was like if he was monologuing his thoughts and didn't need an answer from anyone. "Should I stay and help? Or should I go and leave a corpse?"

"Leave." Hui suggested ruthlessly knowing that his master wasn't talking to him.

"The many possibilities... ..."

"His fault for traveling alone." Hui spoke up once more, and yet again his master paid no heed to his words, making him frown from the obvious disregard.

"I guess I'll go for a bit of heroism." Ru hummed with a bright but wicked smile, " Hui'er carry him along to some place less hot.

Being petty as his master Hui bent down and grabbed the mans leg and dragged him through the boiling hot sand to a conveniently placed cave farther up ahead. During the short journey Ru looked at the man with pity, slightly grimacing from the blood trail as his skin burned off.

"..." Rén Ru didn't comment.

As they arrived into the heated shade of the rock cave, Hui dropped the man's leg and stood to the side as Rén Ru pushed the unconscious man over to reveal a burn mark on one side of his face. The man was indeed handsome but it was a shame that his face was ruined by the cruel fate of sand. If only there had been some other type of way to have prevented that...

Rén Ru stared at the man for many hours, he paid no mind to the sulking and burning gaze of his cute little helper. With a hand gesture, Hui handed over a canteen filled with fresh and cooling water. "How inconsiderate of me, I should have given you some water, here you go, don't waste a single drop." Rén Ru said with a wicked smile as he overturned the canteen and poured its entire contents onto the unconscious man, it was a miracle he had not drowned. After a full week unconscious, the man woke up to see two men sitting down at the entrance of the cave, the night sky was beautiful, but the cold, below-freezing-air, made him tremble.