Old Friends Return

Chapter 26

Caroline woke to the sun shining on her face she smiled rolled over to check her messages and emails for work. On the night stand laid an envelope inside was a letter that read

Caroline my love,

I am very sorry that I cannot stand by you this evening as your companion.

Please know that I love you and will be jealous of every soul that get to

Dance with you.

Forever yours,

Niklaus

She smiles at the unexpected love note from Klaus before locking it in the trunk of the rest of the romantic things he'd done or given her. She got dress and headed to the venue were Damon's party would be held this evening.

She was inside for about an hour when Enzo whooshed next to her and whispered into her ear "incoming." Knowing just what he meant her hands started shaking. He took her hand in his "Breath Gorgeous all will be fine." She smiled at him and continued to move the tables how she had wanted them.

A gentle hand touched her shoulder "Care how are you doing now that we got Jo back?" Elena question. "I'm going great" Caroline started to answer before Elena cut her off with a condescending "Of course you are. Now just isn't your time."

"As much as I'd love to speak with you about this but I have a lot to do for the party." She informed Elena as she tried to walk away with no success. "I find it funny that you all hated Damon when we were together but now here you are planning him a birthday party and he and Bonnie are in love."

"I was engaged to his best friend for five years we grew close and became friends; our drama is in the past." Caroline informed her leaving out the fact that Damon was there to pick up the pieces when Stefan left and broke her heart.

"Yeah it wasn't a real engagement was it?"

Trying to keep her cool she walked away toward Derek handing him the clipboard instructing him on what he need to accomplish then she left to get ready for the party.