Chapter 19

Sooooo...... i know i said i would get the next chappie up like four days ago, but i had a CRAP load of homework (same as tonight) the day i said i was going to upload. 

needless to say i did not get it up. 

yes you guys are probably going to kill me for it, but i can't help it. i was with zach. Another yes; my weekend with zach was freakin awesome!!!!! i'm probably going to see him again tuesday! WOOT! so yeah, i'm preety happy right now (the mcdonald's tea might be helping with that! XP). 

anyway, here's the next chappie!

(btw you kinda see a bit of Jenna's mom's personality! hehe teaser!)

Recap:

Josh POV:

Jenna's family all turned to us when we entered the door, but Jenna only had eyes for the man on the bed.

He looked to be in his early twenties, with brown hair just like Jenna's. He actually looked a lot like Jenna, same kind of build, except in male form of course. I paused on my once-over of who I assumed was Logan to take in the people around him.

There were three older women staring at Jenna and I, disgust coloring their gaze when they looked at Jenna, amazement when they looked at me. Jenna still hadn't looked away from Logan; I assumed she was in shock so I pulled her to me. Tears betrayed her, and fell onto my shirt; she had hid her face in my chest, not wanting to see the body of her nearly-lifeless cousin.

Chappie 19!

Jenna POV:

Seeing Logan like that...it honestly killed me. Hiding in my face in Josh's chest was my best attempt at getting the picture out of my head. In my mind he was always the one figuring out how much trouble we could get in, or how he could help me make a feeble attempt at pleasing my mom, not the person I saw before me. Logan was my father figure when Rick or Dad weren't at home. Cindy and Leanne (my mother) were extremely close, especially when Rick and Cindy divorced, so he and I got throw together a lot anyway while our mothers were out on the town.

My mother and Cindy had a lot in common; they shared views on everything from shopping to me. Yes, that meant my aunt was a b****. My other aunt, Alice (A/N: pronounced uh-lecce), was just as big of one as the other two, but I didn't get h*** from her like I did from the others because she lived so far away.

Alice was the un-biological mother of April. April was her sister's daughter, but her parents got killed by a drunk driver on the eve of their 15th anniversary. Great present, huh?

My grandparents together had three kids, Alice, Leanne, and then finally Rick. Like I explained, Alice adopted April, Leanne married my father, Mason Sparks, and had only one child, me. Rick married Cindy McMann; together they had Logan and Bridget. April's going to be twenty-seven this year, I'm seventeen, Logan is twenty-two, and Bridget is twelve.

After huddling into Josh's chest for far too long to be socially appropriate, I realized the eyes staring at me. I looked around at the room and saw Alice, my mother, and Cindy all staring at me, looking astonished I was here. Oh wait, they would be. Bridget probably hadn't told them she had called me, most likely out of fear of punishment.

"Yes mom, I'm here. Do you think you could keep something like Logan being in a coma away from me? He's basically my older brother; I can't believe you wouldn't call me." My mother locked her steely gaze with mine, sending me a challenge.

"We thought you would be more concerned with your studies, you are probably failing them all," Cindy interjected.

"How could I be more concerned with my studies? And if you should know, I currently have a 4.23 GPA taking senior and college level courses. Where is Bridget, and for that matter why aren't Rick and my father here either? Are they not concerned, or did you not 'wish to bother them' as well?" I was getting more and more ticked as the seconds went by. Josh, noticing this, rubbed my arms soothingly, trying to calm me down, if even the tiniest bit. He leaned down to my ear and whispered to me.

"Shhh, don't get riled up. Remember why you are here." For some reason I was instantly calmed.

"Whatever, I just came to see Logan. If you are going to continue with this childish game, then do so. Personally, I am more concerned for the life of my cousin than this little feud." I turned away from her and went over to Logan's bedside; the only thing on my mind now was Logan's welfare.

/\ \\ \\ \\ \/

Josh POV:

I stood leaning against the closed door, feeling rather awkward because of the tension. While Jenna stood by the bed, holding Logan's hand, two of the women were looking at her.

The other was staring at me.

I have no idea what she was thinking, but all the staring was kind of creepy. I looked at Jenna, trying to ignore the woman, but my eyes kept flickering to her. A small smile budded on her lips, freaking me even more. I quietly stepped out of the room, mumbling that I was going to go get coffee. I felt the eyes of that woman follow me as I left.

/\ \\ \\ \\ \/

Jenna POV:

I heard a door shut, and turned to see Josh leaving, but why? Movement from the peripheral of my vision had me automatically spinning to see what it was.

My three worst enemies (AKA my mom and my two aunts) stood side-by-side, all leaning ever so slightly against the door, and when I say lightly, I mean it. My mother always thought that proper women should not lean on anything, but in its stead stand straight and tall.

Unless of course you were going against her, then she wants you to crumble and fall as if she had cut you down with her claws. Oops, I meant chainsaw.

"Jennifer Austen, why are you not in school. The boy is not here now, so you need not to speak any lies," My mother addressed me.

"And do tell who this boy is, and why he is here. We are ashamed that you did not call ahead; we could have prepared a room for you and the boy."

"'The boy' has a name, Joshua, do use it. Besides, If I did call ahead you would probably barricade the hospital room, force the maids to not let me enter the house, and tell the staff here at the hospital that I am deranged and upon seeing me, the employees should remove me, by force if necessary. Do not deny it; we all know the three of you would gleefully partake in it. After all, why would you want to be seen with the 'shame and embarrassment' of the family?" I finished my monologue, and followed the eyes of my mother, whose gaze was fixed upon the door. I knew she was waiting for someone to walk in the door upon hearing my outburst. When no one came I had a hunch she would begin laying into me for embarrassing her.

I was correct.

"Jennifer Austen, I am your mother; you will not speak to me in that way ever again. Also, in doing this you have only proved my point, you are not responsible, nor mature. I bet that that elite boarding school has done nothing for your personality and grades!" she paused to take a breath and compose herself, "You will go find this 'Josh' and leave for home, if this many people are in the room at once the nurses will kick us all out."

"Will you inform Bridget I am here? I will not leave until you swear it on your mother's grave." My grandmother was apparently the idol of my mother's childhood and adulthood, and gave her inspiration and a "wealth of knowledge". I have a feeling, though, that my grandmother was a respectable, good person, with things unknown to my mother and aunts; morals, kindness. Feelings of that sort.

"Yes, I swear it. Now leave. You may stay at home. I will call the maids and have them place you things. Go find your companion and we will have dinner as a family later; I would like to get to know this 'Josh'."

/\ \\ \\ \\ \/ 

comment/vote/fan! 

~da one and only evilbunneh!