43 - Love Lessons and Loyalty

Alex sat slumped down in a bucket seat of the hospital. They had sent her to guard Tara and she wasn't too glad about it. Not only because she got a bitter taste in her mouth when she thought back to their last conversation – and to her angry thoughts concerning the woman since she had let Kip sacrifice himself to save her child – but also because Tara wasn't the only one working in St. Thomas. Mila worked there as well, on the pediatrics that was close to the NICU. 

Obviously, Alex wasn't in the mood to see her. Their fight was bothering her. She tried to push her feelings away, like she shoved everything to the side that she didn't like, but she knew she couldn't ignore it when she truly looked her friend in the eye. Not that there was anything left to say. She had made her choice – they both did and Alex knew it was the right thing to do. At least as long as the club was under attack. The problem however was that the danger wasn't the main reason why Mila had left; that was because she believed that Alex had changed and that she was shutting her out. 

Which was true. It wasn't because of Miles alone. It was because of Shane. Mila was right; he was no longer a role that she was playing. These days she didn't need to pay attention to what to say, how to walk, how to talk. She had adapted to the club life; she was no longer just a former military, she was also an outlaw. A criminal. She was wearing a Beretta on her hip and she knew she would shoot when Lobo Sonora showed up to take out the doctor. 

Her phone broke the depressing hospital silence. Unrest was gnawing at her immediately; they probably would only call her if there was something going on. Had there been another shooting at the clubhouse? Her stomach cramped. Chibs had sent Juice to the clubhouse to install new surveillance cameras. She doubted there were many others around, so he would be an easy target. 

She opened the burner. A relieved sigh escaped her lips as she saw Kozik's name.

"Hey Koz," she said, pressing the device against her ear. As discretely as she could, she swallowed the nervousness. 

"Hey kid. How you doin'? It's about time I'm checkin' in with you; heard there were a couple of rough days."

Alex smiled lightly. His tone told her that it bothered him that he hadn't reached out to her before. She didn't mind; he clearly believed she could take of her herself. 

"Yeah, we've gone through some serious shit man. But I'm sure someone has already told you, so I won't repeat it."

There was no soft chuckle, like he usually did. "Are you okay with it? You know – with how they treated you to find the guilty one?"

Alex didn't answer immediately. "I haven't thought too much about it. Just did what I had to do."

Kozik sighed. "As your sponsor I should have been there so you could spit out your frustrations. Sorry kid."

"Nah, I'm fine man. The rat is dead, like it's supposed to be."

"Hap was impressed by you. By how you dealt with that shit. You did good, kid. I'm proud of ya."

Alex's lips curled up. Happy had already told her that he was satisfied with how she had handled the situation, but she was surprised that he had shared it with someone else. She leaned back in her chair. Because of everything that had happened she had barely thought about her sponsor, but she realized now that she was looking forward to his return. 

"Thanks." A silence fell. "How's it goin' over there? How're you? Can't be easy, being so far away while shit's going down here..."

"Nah, you'll manage without me." She could see him wink. "But I'm bored to death. There's a skate park close by and it's makin' me fuckin' nostalgic. As soon as I'm back, you have to teach me some tricks."