|Lemonade XXXIX|

××××

"You ready?"

She nodded. Vanessa was quite nervous. What if his sister didn't like her? The thing about kids is; they don't sugar coat anything. If they hated something, they will tell you. Vanessa only thought of the worst. Jasper's thumb rub circles on the back of her hand that he held as he pushed the door open.

A little girl with a pink beanie on top of her head laid in a hospital bed, dressed in a rather comfortable sweater. She sat on her knees while coloring on a piece of paper.

"Hey booger!"

Her brown eyes lit up with joy. She hurry off the bed and threw her arms around Jasper's legs. He picked her up and hugged her tightly.

"I knew you come back!" She squealed excitedly.

"Of course I did. I missed you so much!" He attacked her face with kisses.

"Are you going to make me lemonade today?!"

"You bet! Go get back in the bed while I make it." He placed her down.

She skipped back over to her bed and hopped in it. Vanessa stood awkwardly by the door, not knowing what to do.

"Jasper?" A older woman called him from the other side of the hospital bed. Vanessa hadn't noticed her until now.

Jasper didn't respond to her. He continued to squeeze some lemons from his backpack into a cup. The woman got up from her seat and walked over to him. She touched his shoulder but Jasper flinched away. He gave her a cold stare.

"I have to go to work. But I'll be back. I promise." She said.

"Just go! I don't need you." He spat silently, as if he weren't trying to make his sister hear him. The woman's lip trembled slightly and she walked to the door, to leave. She and Vanessa meet eyes. She smiled embarrassingly and hurried out of the room.

The tension in the room cooled down once she left.

"Booger, this is my girlfriend Vanessa. Be nice to her." Jasper said as he handed her a small cup of lemonade.

The small girl waved shyly. Japser motioned her to come closer. Vanessa than sat at the foot of the bed while Japser laid next to his sister's small body.

"Vanessa, this is my little booger Olivia."

He tickled her side as she giggled uncontrollably. Vanessa smiled at the sight.

"Did you do your homework? I know you didn't." Olivia shook her head.

"It's too boring without you. I wish I can go home with you again."

"I know booger. But you have to finish treatments first, okay? Than you can come home." Jasper kissed her head.

She yawn tiredly and curled up to her big brother. Poor thing. Jasper stroked her hair, lulling her to sleep.

"You're so good with her. I can see why she loves you so much."

Jasper nodded, "I'm all she's got. She needs me."

Jasper would be a great father. Vanessa knew it. The love he had for Olivia was absolutely heart warming. She thought back to the woman who was there previously.  That must be their mom. From looks, Jasper and her didn't get along very well.

"The woman early? Was that your mom?"

His jaw clenched in anger. Jasper nodded.

"That selfish, coward of a woman abandoned her. Just when things were making a left turn. Olivia didn't ask to be sick. That woman doesn't deserve to have such an beautiful child like Olivia. She doesn't."

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Wow. I haven't updated in quite a bit. Same as always; it's school. I was looking forward to the weekend.

Vote
Comment
Follow