XXVII. "you're hot!"

Start from the beginning

After that, I chose the most simple gown that Judy has and then just put my hair in a tight bun. Wearing no makeup since Victorians are not really a fan of it.

The gown is in the color of champagne and has a bow at the waist. It is not really revealing.

As soon as I knocked the familiar wooden door, Augustus immediately opened it, greeting me with his huge usual smile.

"Come in,"

I hid both my hands behind my back and nodded. I stood right in the corner and to my surprise, Augustus stood beside me and you know what he did? He circled his hand around my shoulders.

I have a strong urge to shake his hand but since Mister Douglas is staring right at me, giving me a creepy smile then I have no choice but to swallow my dignity and smile back.

"You look lovely, darling," whispered Augustus to my ear, which somehow made me chuckle because his breath tickles me.

Augustus then smiled at my reaction, thinking the reason why I laughed was that of his compliment.

For some reason, something seems off with Mister Douglas. I just can't feel the same vibe I felt with him before he went on his voyage.

Also, I know this may sound shallow since it has no evidence but I just can't see him the same since the day I learned about his illegal businesses.

"Great to see you again, Miss Wright. Please take a seat," Mister Douglas then pointed to a sofa facing him.

As soon as I sat, Augustus then sat as well. Beside me and still has his hand around my shoulders. I am getting more and more uncomfortable here, you see.

I then faked a cough and said, "great to see you as well, Sir. May I ask, what brings me here?"

I was about to add the question on why I should dress "properly", knowing that we are only staying here in his office.

"Ah, what I missed about you, child. Straight forward as ever," replied Mister Douglas, laughing.

"As you may have noticed, I've been gone for so long, blame the business trip, my dear. As a father, 'course, I missed my son so I said, why not have a little lunch over here. It was Augustus who suggested you should come as well,"

Oh...

"Uhm, I am honored, Sir," I replied before looking at the man beside me which earned me a squeeze in the shoulders from him and a smirk.

And so lunch began. After about ten minutes, exactly three maids entered the room and prepared the food right in front of us.

At the corner of my eye, as Augustus and I were chatting, I can see the three of them looking at me and smirking. Perhaps judging me on why the hell I am having lunch with our employers.

Their eyes even focused on Augustus' hands which, by the way, are either around my shoulders or on top of my lap. Ugh.

Of course, during all these, I tried getting Augustus' hands off me but he just can't do it. Or just don't want to.

After the maids left the room and while Mister Douglas excused himself to read one of the newly arrived letters, probably from one of his business partners, I held Augustus' hand and placed it in his lap. But this time, with force.

By that, I caught his attention, his brows meeting. "Please get your hands off me, Mister Augustus. I've been meaning to tell you that for so long and I will not tolerate it any further,"

Augustus failed to answer me and was still smirking at me.

"Either you keep your hands to yourself or I will cut your testicles, you choose," I whispered to him angrily.