chapter fifty six

“What happened?” Brad said, running towards me in a high pace. He had seen Matt walking away, and me panting miserably. I guess he was right to see that there was something wrong.

“Let’s not do this right now.” I say, blinking away the residue of tears in the corners of my eyes. Brad stretched out his arm for me to take, with one simple movement he had me on my feet again.

“Weren’t you washing yourself up?” I ask, as I remembered why Brad and I parted ways when I was taken to a nurse.

“Yeah,” he nodded, agreeing with me. “but this other sergeant called me back, he told me my father would soon tell us what his final decision is.” He shrugged, not making a big deal out of this.

A long silence followed, we both decided it was better to not speak, until Agnes stormed out the cabin, her face plastered with anger. Her feet stamped into the mud and her body showed anything but kindness. 

The eyebrows of her were furrowed, so that they looked like two waves. She did not gave me one last look before storming off to a direction what seemed like to one of the girls’ cabin. I sighed, this was not going to be good.

And as I expected, a few seconds later Mr Chilton opened the door. With a neutral facial expression he invited us both in.

When we were both sat down, he started talking.

“I have thought long and hard about this.” He explained, eyeing Brad and then me. “You told me you haven’t been sleeping with Harry –I’ll take your word for that. And since there is no official rule for dating your sergeant, you haven’t done anything wrong.” I sighed, slightly relieved.

“However you started a fight on camp grounds, this is complete ignorant and childish behaviour,” he told me, keeping his eyes straight in mine. “You’ll be expected to do one week of kitchen duty.”

I didn’t know what to expect of kitchen duty, but I knew it wouldn’t be as horrible as being expelled from the camp.

“And Bradley, since you didn’t really do anything but help Violet get out of the fight, you’ll have no punishment.” I silently thanked Mr Chilton before leaving quietly with Brad through the door. Only when we were sure that the door was closed I happily jumped into his arms.

“Please tell me you haven’t talked to your dad about my punishment.” I mumbled into his warm and fuzzy sweater, the warmth of him spreading through my body, sending thousands of chills down my spine.

“Why would I wash myself up in the middle of the day,” he chuckled. “Of course I have talked to my dad.” He wrapped his arms around my waist whilst I hugged him tightly around his neck.

“You’re the best.” I mumble, trying to pull him even closer and hug him tighter –I didn’t think it was possible. He didn’t reply, just hugged me back, but for me that was enough.

“What do you think that happened to Agnes?”  I asked, still softly mumbling into the fabric of his sweater.

“Do you really want to know?” He asks, rubbing his hand from the upper part of my back to the small of my back. I nodded, so that my hair was messed up and full of knits against his fabric.

“She got kicked out of the camp.” He said.

I didn’t know I were to be happy or sad. She deserved it. She slept with my boyfriend at the time. But she was my friend, and helped me through a lot.

“You don’t have to say anything you know.” Brad said, releasing me from our hug, but I hoped it would last a little longer. Just to feel his heat against my body one more time. What was happening to me.

My head was a mess, trying to process all things at once. But all of that disappeared when Brad guided me back to his cabin where we spend the rest of the day, not doing anything but everything at the same time.

I didn’t see Melissa that day, nor Harry. But I was sure I wouldn’t see them for a long time. At this time I was just happy to be with Brad. At least he was there for me.

---

Our days of suspension were over, so when Brad and I arrived at breakfast that day, we received many stares. Of course everybody had heard of the fight, and was dying to get some answers. But they weren’t getting any, at least not from me.

As silent as possible we both walked up to the canteen and grabbed our food, sitting down a table where nobody was sitting yet, somewhere close to a window. I saw Melissa eyeing me from another corner. She only walked up to us a few minutes later.

“What’s this about?” She asks.

“What’s what about?” I ask.

“Why aren’t you sitting with me.” She asks. Brad nudges my hips making me chuckle.

“I thought you wouldn’t want to sit next to me after what happened.” I say. I didn’t know just yet if she was still my friend or not. After what happened, I didn’t trust anyone (except for Brad).

“Why wouldn’t I want to sit next to you?” She asks. “I want to hear the story about how you kicked Agnes’ butt.” She smiled, and set her plate next to mine, so I was sitting in between Brad and Melissa.

“I thought you and Agnes were friends?” I say, slightly confused.

“Before I heard what she did to you of course! And we’re friends, right?” She says unsure. I nodded she was right, we were friends too.

“I’m still confused about what happened to Harry.” I say after playing around with my food for some time, not able to get one bite down my throat.

“I could really have some cake right now.” Brad says quickly, trying to change the subject. Giving Melissa weird glances and stares. I shook it off, Melissa didn’t seem to notice.

“Confused?” She asks.

“Yeah.”

“How are you confused about Harry getting sent away fro-” She started but Brad threw his meat at her face so she had to stop talking.

“What the actu-” She whisper-yelled at Brad. But when she noticed I did not know yet of Harry’s suspension from the camp her mouth formed into one big circle.

“You didn’t know yet?” She ask. I shook my head.

“I’m sorry Violet, Harry got sent away by Mr Chilton.”

After this chapter I'll do a fast forward to the last days of military boot camp. But don't worry, I'll give you a look in Violet's life after military boot camp. Comment :)