chapter twenty eight

“You can just say you weren’t feeling well?” I tried, after I had probably named tens of excuses for missing the training.

“That’s the lamest excuse that you proposed to me yet” He chuckled standing up . First his back moved forward and later he placed his whole weight on his feet hidden in the big military boots who looked rather professional on him.

“Well, all my excuses are only legit on school days. You can’t really say you were taking care of your sick brother or missed the bus.”

I thought back of the many school days on which I had loads of test, but sadly couldn’t go to because my little brother –who was none existing- had problems at the day care and my mom was already at work.

He sighed loudly and told me he would think of something when he would see his sergeant again. My toes curled with disgust after I remembered what  Brad had told me about her big wrath on her face, who seemed to jump of her cheek any second.

“Bradley” I whispered looking up, now seeing the twinkling brown eyes not far from mine. He mumbled, almost as if he gave me approval to ask the question.

“What just happened, can we please forget it.” I choked out after struggling to find the right words.

“I mean you’re a real nice lad but I don’t think this could work, normally I don’t jump on everyone like that, please don’t think that I’m cheap like that. It’s just, I wanted to feel if it was still the same feeling and now that I know it’s not you I don’t want you think that I like you. I mean I like you but as in a friend kind of way, I-” I kept babbling on until he finally saved me.

“It’s okay Violet, it really is.” He gave me a warming smile and reached out his tanned strong hand for me to take. I did as he expected and he pulled me up from the bed. I gave him a grateful smile and walked over to the door, but turned around when I heard my name getting called.

“I forgot to ask but what is up with your sergeant” He laughed. “He’s a bit creepy. He stares at you as if he either wants to murder you or as if he’s undressing you with his eyes, I’m not sure.”

I gave him a shrug, even though I knew exactly ‘what was up’ with my sergeant. Memories of before came flooding back like the waves crashing into the golden shore on a stormy night.

The way I had whispered how green his eyes were before he crashed his lips again into mine. The way he had trusted me by telling me his first name was Harry. The way he had traced patterns on my hand, it all felt so distant and vague.

“Well anyway, see you later.” Brad smiled and gave me a wave before turning his back to me and walking over to his bed and sitting back on it.

I smiled at my friend and walked out of the cabin, closing the door softly and slowly. I carefully peaked around, hoping there wasn’t a sergeant who would catch me in one of the boy’s cabins. Because if that was the case, I would be in a lot of trouble.

I placed my heel on the mud and later the front of my foot followed causing me to walk with swinging arms next to me back to my cabin.

I realised I had the rest of the day off so I decided to return back to the cabin and get some rest for a bit. When I reached my cabin most of the girls were gone off to their training. Only the women in my group were present on their trusty bunk beds.

I returned to my own bunk bed, which in the beginning was hard to recognise because it looked like an exact replica of the others, but now became familiar to me, almost as if it was a small piece of ‘home’. Melissa was next to my bunk bed in her own, this time not with the book in her hands.

This time the book was on my nightstand. I gave a small nod to Melissa and picked up the almost fragile seemingly book on the also fragile nightstand.

“What’s it about?” I wondered out loud.

“You’ll have to find out by yourself” He gave me a wicked smile and returned to her previous position in which she layed her head down on the cushion and stared at the bottom of the bed of Agnes above her, which again was nowhere to be seen.

I placed myself in the same position as Melissa, only she was staring at the celling and I was staring at the thick book full of small black letters dangling above me.

Hours passed by like minutes and I was only a hundred pages further, the book was touching and so wonderful at the same time. The feeling of the paper in between my fingers as I started a whole new page, the sensation of the smell the book brought me, it was all so new to me.

I sat up straight, feeling my neck aching because I had being laying in a very uncomfortable state. I was unable to move because the book was just so moving.

I did my best to lay the book down on the nightstand without glaring at it with desire to just read one more page. When I succeeded I stretched myself and saw it was getting dark outside.

Suddenly shivers got all over me when I realised what happened yesterday at the same part of the day. I was kissed by a stranger, or at least I think I was.

It seemed all so vague, the way his hoarse voice had whispered to me that I looked beautiful  that day. But whoever this person this is, it is clear that I have feelings for him. His kisses made me feel like was on cloud nine. His touch m-

“What did you think about it?” A voice rudely disrupted my thought.

“It’s a good book” I simply said, a small smile taking over my lips.

“Only good?!” She exclaimed. “It’s the best book ever written, the way the words seem to fit perfectly with the context, the way it hits you in your heart, the way it takes over your thoughts about every second of the day. The urge to pick it up again and read it just one more time is strong, believe me I’m dealing with it now.” She said pointing at the book.

“Fine, it’s the best book ever written, or at least, the best book I’ve ever read.” I chuckled.

“I’m going to see where Agnes is” I spoke but just when I was about to reach the door it burst open, spilling women out of it. I waited until the last one was inside until I walked back outside to look for my friend.

--

“Violet” A voice called out, but I didn’t stop.

“Violet” The familiar voice called out again, but again I decided to ignore him. I began to walk faster scanning the area for my friend.

“Violet can you bloody wait up” I heard the voice call out again. My feet strolled faster over the still moist grass as I reached the men’s cabins. I highly doubt she was here, but it was worth a try.

“I command you to stop, Violet.” With one quick spin I turned around and stormed at him.

“Listen you huffy fartknocker” I yelled at him continuing to storm at him in the highest speed I had ever run. I received a few confused glares of men all around the camp but I didn’t care.

“You can’t freaking command me anything!” I spat out at him. “You bloody-” I wanted to spat out different curse words at him but was stopped when he placed his hand on my mouth and threw me over his shoulder like it was nothing.

I hammered with my hands on his back, ordering him to put me down, but he didn’t. I shouted against his hand and even attempted licking it so he would pull back, but he didn’t. I dangled my legs up and down, slamming them against his broad chest.

I was struggling against his hard grip on me, I couldn’t speak because one of his hand was still on my mouth, one of his arms was now around my legs so that they were unable to move.

I couldn’t do much with my head because it felt heavier and heavier since all the blood in my body seemed to flow towards my head. The only thing I could do is slamm my hands against his back, but this seemed hopeless.

Great, I am getting kidnapped by my sergeant.

(or should I say Harrynapped)

*louis voice* "No. No you shouldn't"

Shoutout to all of you who know where that is from. Follow me on twitter @paradisaluke and comment!