chapter fory nine

“Thank you” I whispered softly to one of the boys who helped me get over the fence without too much trouble. He mumbled a soft response. We tried to be silent as possible; acting like we’ve been at the camp all night and morning. But the truth was that we weren’t and we had no plan.

I had no clue about what I was going to say when I walk through the camp and see my group of ten –nine without me, training. I can already feel the burn of Harry’s angry stare upon me; scolding me.

I looked up at the sky, small rain drops fell down on my face.

I know it wasn’t smart to join these boys on a spontaneous camping trip, in the middle of a military boot camp. But at that time; it seemed like an great idea. When I think back at it, I would have made a lot of different choices.

In my head I was counting the things I would do different; I wouldn’t have been drinking if I could rewind time, I would’ve taken care of an alarm clock before even thinking about going to bed. But before I could think of more, a voice was heard behind me.

 “Well if it isn’t Ms. Rose and the gang.” A grumpy low voice said far away from me and the group of boys. We all abruptly turned our face to face the origin of the voice.

“Shit” some boy yelled, trying to cover his face so that he wouldn’t be recognised and ran away; so did a few other boys. I knew what they were doing. We agreed that if we happened to get caught that we all would run away and the ones who were caught wouldn’t betray the rest.

Too bad that he had already recognised me. In a few seconds all the boys were running to their cabins, trying to get away. I understood.

Brad followed them, giving me one last looking before running to his cabin. I sighed, I guess it’s just me then.

“What are you wearing?” He asked out of all the questions he could’ve asked.

“My hoodie.” I tried.

“Don’t lie to me.” He said walking over to me with large leaps. He grabbed my hips turned them 180 degrees so that my back was now facing him and he ripped out the size label out of the hoodie. “I don’t remember you wearing size Large.”

A silence followed.

“I also don’t remember you being present at training today.” He said, his eyebrow furrowing together and his green eyes almost spitting an emotion I couldn’t exactly wrap my fingers around.

“I-” I started.

“Save me the talk.” He said. “I know what you and these idiots did.” His feet stood strong into the ground. “I would’ve forgiven you Violet.” He whispered, inching closer.

“Too bad that I have to report this to Mr. Chilton” Without any emotion he grabbed my wrist and dragged me towards one of the cabins which I recognised as Mr. Chilton’s office.

--

“So tell me Violet.” Mr. Chilton greets me with an inviting smile. “What brings you here today?”

“I-” I started off but Harry rudely interrupted me

“She snuck off the camp grounds with your son and a few other boys.”

“I would like to hear that from the girl herself, Harry.” Mr Chilton announced. “Would you be so kind to get my son please?” He asked Harry and he left the cabin, greeting Mr Chilton with a military greeting one last time.

I mentally slapped my forehead. Harry and Brad weren’t exactly the right combination. But then again if Brad got dragged into his father’s office with bruises, we know who to blame.