chapter fifty five

“We have some issues to discuss.” His voice spoke quietly. None of us said a word, we just listened closely to what Mr Chilton had to say. The urge to vomit was still there, nevertheless had it lessened over the past few minutes.

After the fight had died down, people around us were moved away by other sergeants and it was only me and Agnes hissing at each other. Well, I tried to. Blood was spilling out of my mouth, and it did not stop.

They called the nurse out to check up on me and Agnes after a quick gathering with Mr Chilton.

“I will surely not let this go undiscussed.” He cleared the air. I was sat on the left side, Brad next to me and Agnes next to him. I wasn’t quite sure why Brad was involved in this, but I did not say a thing.

“I’ll call you both out one by one so both of you can tell your part of your story. The other will visit the nurse.” I said, his sharp nose turning in my direction. “Violet, you’re up first. Take Brad with you.” He said and stood up, a sergeant who was standing in the corner guiding us after Mr Chilton into another room.

Agnes was guided outside. We once again sat down on chairs, this time only two whilst Mr Chilton sat down in front of us.

“I don’t know where to start.” I sighed. I wasn’t sure if I had to tell the truth. Was it legal for a women at a military boot camp to date her sergeant? And if so, would Harry approve me telling him that? He could lose his job.

But that was none of my worries. He had cheated on me. With my best friend. And I was done caring about him. So I told Mr Chilton the full story.

“Me and Harry- Mr Styles were having an on- off relationship.” I sighed, with my hands in my hair. Mr Chilton’s face did not move an inch he was staring at me intensely waiting for the next detail.

“It was quite serious, but it didn’t work out, so we broke up.” I said.

“Later I found out that he was cheating on me with Agnes –my best friend.” I say and feel stabbed in the heart immediately. The vomiting urge comes back like a wave crashing into the shore. I jump up from my chair and run towards the first thing I could see; a bin.

The blood in my mouth felt salty as ever, it was disgusting. I apologized and immediately a sergeant in the corner of the room jumped up to clean the bin for Mr Chilton, I silently thanked him.

“He has been screwing around with Agnes the whole time.” I say. My head covered my hands, ashamed and feeling awful.

“I see.” Mr Chilton said. “What about you Brad?”

“I was just there to help out Violet.” He said, eyeing his father very closely.

“Are you sure?” The father asked his son, eyeing him suspicious.

“It’s true.” I say, putting my hand on Brad’s thigh, squeezing it reassuringly. He gave me a thankful smile.

 “So correct me if I’m wrong.” Mr Chilton started. “You were dating the military sergeant. Things didn’t work out as you’d like they would and you broke and made up several times.”

“Correct.” I say. One of the other soldiers standing the corner brought me and Brad a glass of water. I gradually took it sipping it empty the whole time.

“Was there any form of intimacy between you?” He asked seriously. The past bit of my water still in my mouth flew in the air like a little fountain in front of me. I started coughing really loud, Brad only looking at me.

“Define intimacy.” I say.

“Sleeping with him.” He says, his face not moving an inch.

“No.” I say. “That never happened.” I thought back at the times he had kissed me, the memory made my lips tingle. I remember every conversation we had. How he had told me that love was a game, how he missed his mother and even our last proper conversation in which he tried to win me back.