chapter forty three

Everything was wrong. Misplaced and difficult too. It felt unorganized and false. I woke up with a massive headache and I knew why. My head was all over the place. As if my brain was cut into millions of small pieces and shuffled into one big mess.

I threw my diary back into my bag and retreated into the position I was in before. Aggressively I threw my cold hand backwards through my hair. It was full of knots, so when I reached the tip of my hair the headache had grown even more painful.

It was funny how him and I would always bicker about the most stupid things, which didn’t really care much. But in the end; it would matter much. If I just hadn’t started the conversation, it would have been all fine.

But then again, I need to stand up for myself. I wasn’t born to listen to everything and obey them without thinking –it happened before in history, and look how that ended.

It was the morning after the party, after the drama. Everybody was still asleep as usual. The morning training was cancelled so that everybody could rest a bit before slamming their bodies again in the ice cold water or climbing up and down on obstacles for a few hours.

I decided to write my mom a short letter, since it had been a long time since I wrote one. I was mad at myself for forgetting to write her. Again.

Hey mom,

Yesterday was the party. I wore the dress you sent me. It looked beautiful. I’m going to keep this short because I want to tell you all when I’m home. It was good, it was sweet and I made some friends. I hope you’re hanging in there at home, can’t wait to see you again!

Love,

Violet

I threw the pen into the bag but it hit my agenda, making a crushing sound. I cursed silently as Agnes opened her eyes for a few seconds, smiled and closed them again. I sighed relieved and tiptoed out of my bed towards the bathroom stall and did what I had to do.

I showered afterwards, dressed up and tiptoed silently out of the door heading towards the men cabins. Shortly afterwards I arrived, shivering. I had forgotten it was this cold and had not put on a coat.

“Dang Violet, just looking at you gets me cold. Where’s your jacket?” I heard a voice behind me and immediately I spun around, now facing a certain Military Brat.

“It’s Brad!” I exclaimed. “Brad the Military Brat!” I squealed out as he chuckled and he hugged me tightly as he guided me somewhere new. I couldn’t stop laughing at my own joke and Bradley chuckled along until we reached where we were supposed to be and I calmed down.

“You’re never going to stop telling me that joke are you, Vivi?”

“I thought we agreed on Vee?”

“No” he concluded. “I decided I like Letti better, or maybe Viola.” I slapped his chest playfully as we sat down on a bench near the barbed wire and high walls, it was almost like we were in prison.

“What’s up?” He asked, his face turning less playful and more serious, it was odd seeing him serious.

“Nothing much” I smiled at him, or at least I gave it a try.

“Spill it.” He demanded without smiling, just ordering me to do something. Had he turned into Harry or something.

The thought of Harry sent a sudden demanding pain through my body. I abruptly felt lonely and betrayed. The urge to cry became larger by the second.

“I know what I saw yesterday. So are you and Mr Sergeant a thing then?” He winked and turned into his normal self again.

“Were.” I corrected him. “We were a thing.”