chapter ten

Another cracking sound filled the air and I knew the storm approached. The crashing sounds of the clouds bumping in each other, giving each other even more power than they had before. I am glad for the rain, as the dusty powder on our suits would now be replaced with something of more sustenance. 

Defeating lighting reached the, now still dusty, ground as I ducked down, trying to find shelter for this horrendous storm. I was closer to the building where I slept in than to the lunchroom. I decided to make the run back towards the building with fear in my footsteps and heavy breathing in my throat.

The water under my feet splashed carelessly against the boots I got at the camp. They were full of the sand and other dirt before, but now when the rain washed against the black boots, the dirt changed into mud sticking me back onto the ground.

De clattering sound of heavy and thick raindrops falling down on the pavement made me look around, all the people who were outside before ran inside. I hitched my breath realising everybody was inside, and I was outside. Again. Where are Agnes and Melissa anyways? 

Breathe. I told myself, but I was being stubborn and didn't listen to myself, carrying on withholding my breath. I stopped running when I reached the house which I thought was the female sleeping quarters. The sky was dark as the devil so I couldn't see a thing, but the rain continuously splashing onto my eyelids didn't help either.

-

The salty river of tears didn't seem to stop. Not any time soon. I tried to stop thinking about it, but it was impossible. I remember always being scared when he left the door. When he left the door, giving us a hopeful smile, saying that one day he will return. Until now, he held his promise, he always came back. Most of the time, his hands full of presents.

But this time was different, today was the day he was supposed to get home. But he wasn't coming home, never.

-

My hands traced roughly over the wooden old door, trying to find the door handle. The door was usually heavy, but today it seemed to require more power to open than normal.

 The tears streamed over my red cheeks, I tried to stop them from flowing over my eyes, but failed. I hadn't noticed I had been crying and thought it was the heavy rain dripping down from my hair. 

After what felt like minutes of scraping my faint and crippled fingers against the towering door, I could finally feel the cold hard metal of the familiar door handle pressing against the palm of my hand.

I sighed happily as I entered the room as possible, but the room was filled with pitch blackness. The darkness scared me, causing me to breath heavy. As I breathed out once again my heart jumped because of the heavy thunder going on outside.

-

The thunder stroke the ground once again, as if it had acted unacceptably towards the sky. Acting towards the ground as if it was just a piece of nothing. I sat in the windowsill, hoping it was all a joke. Hoping that someone would jump out behind the curtains with bright and shiny cameras saying it was all panned. And then he would walk straight through the door, hands full of the unexpected gift he had bought on the airport before he returned back to his beloved family.

But reality hit hard, he was gone.

-

I walked into the darkness, and it felt like it was happily hugging me into its undiscovered secrets. A sob escaped my mouth as I walked on trying to find my bed. But soon I realised this room was much smaller than the room with all the bunk beds. I turned around, trying to recall whether I had been in this before and soon realised that this wasn't the room I've slept in for the last few days.

A screeching sound of the metal handle moving up and down quickly awoke me from my realisation. The shrill sound of the door creaking open told me to hide myself. It was quite hard in the dark but I tried to crawl in one of the corners behind a rather large object, though I didn't know what it was.

"Damn kids" the low voice muttered, probably to itself because I didn't see a silhouette following the person from behind into the door. I recognised the voice as one of a man or just a woman with a really low voice. 

A shiver once again sent down my spine and a red colour blossomed on my cheeks. I knew my body only reacted to one person like this. It was Sergeant Styles.

I accidentally stumbled into one of the bedrooms which belonged to sergeants. I tried to make my body even smaller when the figure walked over to the object which I was hiding behind. Again a creaking noise appeared, this time coming from the object.

I dared to, slowly look around the corner, hoping it wasn't the person I thought it was. As I did, I saw green piercing eyes, clearly visible in the plain darkness staring into the object, which seemed to be a closet.

But when my head was halfway looking around the corner, I saw the eyes swiftly turning in my direction, a small squeak escaped my mouth. I retreated my head back behind the closet and closed my eyes, hoping that they wouldn't emit light, just like his eyes did.

I felt my heart beating in my neck and my back throbbing with pain, only because I slammed my back quietly against the wall, hoping I could disappear from one of the sergeants. What did he do here in this room during lunch? But then again, what am I doing in the Sergeants' bedrooms during lunch?

"I know you're there." I heard a strong and deep voice coming from in front of the closet. My breath again hitched in my throat as I tried to move my chest up and down without making any sound. I weighed my options, I could continue hiding, but the turning on of the light would expose me anyway.

"I know it" His husky voice rang through my mind like the large bells on top of a church. "Show yourself."

I engraved my nails into the wall, hoping that that would take away my stress and fear, but at last, it didn't. I heard a manly chuckle and heavy feet walking away from the closet. I breathed out happily as I removed the tears that were still flowing over my cheeks without mercy, with my army jacket.

I could soon hear the hand grabbing the metal door metal to open the door. I could finally breathe properly again as I stood up, still ducking behind the large closet. As I did so my hand reached out for the top of the closet, trying to get the support I needed to pull myself up with a sore back and still painful ankle.

But as I did so my hand reached for a rather small object made of glass instead of a big brown wooden closet.

"Shit" The smashing sound of fragmentise particles of glass scattered all over the ground making me gasp and immediately turning around to face the figure hurrying over to me, with an unexplainable expression on his face.

He pushed me against the nearest wall carelessly as he stared into my eyes, and soon I realised he was the person I thought he was. 

"I knew it was you" he breathed out heavily into my face, his warm breath thickening on my lips and cheeks. I wanted to chuckle but I knew it would be inappropriate. I had felt fear in my life, but not like this. It almost fell like a thrill. Like jumping out of an aeroplane, like saying I love you for the first time.

One of his large hands pinned both of mine harshly against the wall, and electricity matching the ones currently in the clouds shot through my veins.

"What made you think it was me?" I whispered, trying to hide the fact I was scared of him.

"I would recognise you from out of a hundred." His hot breath fanned on my neck as he bowed down and inched closer to my face.