chapter twenty two

It was dinner time and the delicious smell of freshly baked meat and weeks old peas entered my noise. But as always the training had exhausted me, made me starving and made me crave for some food.

I entered the dining room along with chatting Melissa and Agnes. I didn't really know what they were talking about but I didn't really bother to tune in. My feet carried me after the two cheery girls and I wondered whether they'd had a mental breakdown during this camp. They always seemed so composed.

I sat down at the table, placing the board with the peas and meat on the dinner table. Loads of tables were already full of chatting people, telling each other about their day. Agnes sat on one side of me and Melissa on the other.

"What was that about earlier today?" She asked me, and I exactly knew what she was talking about.

"I told you already I don't know." I whispered lowly because a few women were passing our table.

They shrugged and continued the conversation they were having before as I played with my food.  I grabbed my fork and angrily stamped the three-pronged spear. I continued as it seemed like the world around me disappeared in black venom. I felt bad for zoning out constantly during conversations, and so I stopped prioritizing myself and forced myself to be interested.

"What did you think of the shooting range yesterday?" I asked.

"It was so fun!" Melissa almost shouted out, and several people at our table turned their heads to find out what the calamity was about. Her glasses were smudged with today's dusty weather, but she smiled brightly as she recounted how she missed the target throughout practice, nonetheless it was her favourite training thusfar.

"I think it's a handy skill," Agnes winked at us, as she told us a story of getting scammed whilst buying secondhand Hermès, and how a right aim and a shotgun could've come handy. We all laughed it off, I was so glad I had the support of these unique women.

 "Having a good time?" I heard a familiar voice ask behind me, I turned around seeing a blonde haired guy looking at me with bright brown eyes, staring at me until I gave answer.

"Very much so" I mumbled. I had gotten along with Bradley recently, but his stunt with my lingerie had made me hesitent to become close to him. He greeted Agnes and Melissa with a warm smile and a wink. Agnes gave him a wink back, and scooted to the side so that Bradley could join the conversation.

"We were just talking about Agnes' passion for guns," Melissa joked and jabbed Agnes in her ribs. She gave her a side eye, but laughed nontheless.

Agnes understood the link and stood up placing her table down a few inches further away so that she was now sitting next to Melissa, chatting on, and there was space next to me for Bradley to sit on. I quickly took a quick bite from my meat before returning my gaze back to Bradley.

A long silence followed afterwards.

"So what's up with our Sergeant?" Bradley asked awkwardly. I hadn't seen him since Harry, I mean Sergeant Styles, hard rudely entered the women's sleeping quarters and gotten angry at seemingly nothing. Agnes and Melissa turned their heads and tuned in. I had hardly told them anything going on between me and the Sergeant.

"Oh I don't really know," I stuttered. What was I supposed to tell them? How could I possibly explain that after all he had done and said to me, my heart still fluttered for him.

"C'mon, tell us!" Melissa smiled.

"He just seems to care," I said. "But in a really strange way you know?"

"Almost kind of possessive" Bradley added. I shot him a look.

"You better stay out of this, you have experienced what he is capable of." I pointed to the bruise on his cheeks. He had gotten it only recently when Harry had thrown him a punch.

"At least he doesn't have a big wart on his face like that sergeant has" Brad said seriously. We all broke out with laughter as he secretly pointed towards the table of eating Sergeants. Though he couldn't keep a straight face when I burst out in laughing fits and slammed my head backwards and my hand on my stomach.

I could not help but try to find Sergeant Styles at the table. It was a habit I'd grown used to the past few days.

"I know that wart is awful" A new voice added itself to the conversation the military brad and I were having. I looked up see a familiar amount of chocolate brown curls hidden underneath a military hat. He looked so good.

I sighed without noticing it and quickly held in my breath, hoping he didn't hear it. My heart jumped in my chest. Bradley awkwardly glanced at me. I looked down at my peas, again stamping them down to even more little pieces than they were before.

 "So" Bradley cleared his throat, "have you written to home-front yet?"

Then I realised I hadn't. I had been into this boot camp for fifteen days and yet have not written a single letter to my mother back, I had too forgotten about reading her letter in the first place, because I was too worked up with bashing on my sergeant for destroying my mom's homemade cookie.

"I have totally forgotten!" I yelled out . "But thank you for reminding me." I stood up quickly. I had eaten enough, and the sight of Sergeant Styles had fully taken away my appetite.

"I'm going to write it right now, before I forget again." I turned on my heel quickly telling Agnes and Melissa before waving at Brad and completely ignoring my first sergeant.

"Aren't you going to eat your food?" The voice asked me.

"No, I'm not hungry" I fumbled with my fingers before making my way over to the door but could just hear the sergeant saying; "Just like you weren't hungry when you were snooping around in the boot camp's kitchen." He seemed to be joking.

I felt relieved when I heard footsteps following me, guessing they were Bradley's. I guess he didn't want to stick around for the Sergeant to pick a fight with him. If I were him I'd be terrified of him.

I walked out of the door, letting the cold and icy wind splash upon my face, and then I realised that winter had officially made its entrance. The word winter made me think of the Winter Ball and things lead to other things until I was thinking about what I was going to wear to the Winter Ball and where it was going to be held.

The footsteps were still following me but I didn't bother to look around, still sure it was Brad. I slightly began to run towards the dorms because the icy wind slamming into my face made me shiver unbearably.

When I was about to reach out of the door knob I felt a soft hand against my wrist. I only felt it when I was opened the door, because the hand was as cold as the wind around me. I was about to turn around when I was pulled into the room and the door was slammed closed.

I thought I recognised the hand as Bradley's as the other hand grabbed mine in the darkness of the room. I didn't know what he was up to, nor did I know why.

"What are you doing?" I whispered. "Why are you dragging me through a dark room" I silently yelled over to the person whose hands were now pulling my waist along in their direction.

"I've been wanting to do this for a long time." A hoarse voice whispered in my ear, giving me shivers. His hands moved upwards to my face, circling their soft finger tops on my chin and cheeks.

"You looked so beautiful today" An obvious male voice whispered again, making me almost give up upon my knees. I certainly recognised the voice, but did not quite know whose it was.

"I don't know if thi-" I was cut off by a pair of lips smashing themselves on mine. An incredible feeling of happiness spread around through my body. It was like my veins were poisoned by a sickening yet so wonderful poison called love.