Chapter 49: Left Unsolved

Start from the beginning

What? Why would you give away your insecurities like that? thought Martin's consciousness.

"Because, I've come to terms with my past. Months ago, my crew members and I all opened up to each other. During that time, the eight of us worked through our issues, and became healthier people. That was before I even confronted you, so if you are wondering what made me so confident, that was it."

The scene below them had faded, and now it was just the two of them. As James finished his last sentence, the two of them manifested in the empty space of the sub-dimension.

"You know, you were right in a way," said James. "I was too confident in my physical abilities. But, for you to suggest that I am too confident in my mental abilities, you underestimate the man who is going to solve this world's greatest mystery: Can one pirate rule the Terminus Sea?"

"But this isn't possible! I haven't even seen half of your life, and you've already regained control of your own mind? What are you even hoping to achieve?"

"Once the two of us have examined my life up until this point, the nature of this sub-dimension will force my mind into yours, allowing me to be the one finding out your secrets. But unlike you, I don't plan on exploiting your weaknesses. Whatever happens to you once I am in your mind will be because of your own shortcomings. If you can overcome them like I have, then we will be on equal footing in this sub-dimension, able to use the full power of our minds to continue our battle, without affecting the real Limbo. That is when I hope to defeat you, to make you realise that my brain is better than yours."

"I didn't realise you were so talkative, or egotistical."

"It must be this connection. Your talkative and egotistical mind is rubbing off on mine."

"Believe what you want, I'm just interested to see what happens next."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

They faded back into ethereal forms, as James' past once again flashed by like a film reel. His training, his rebellion, his adventures as a pirate. Then, for a brief moment, they seemed to exit the sub-dimension. During this event, James touched Martin's forehead with his thumb, and rested his fingers on the side of his head. After this happened, both of them re-entered the sub-dimension. Martin began to feel like he was falling through space, and blacked out. His memories then appeared within the dimension. James was successful in transferring control. All that was left was to learn who Martin Magick was.

Martin's life flashed by like a film reel. In the first scene, he came out of his birth mother, who cried profusely at the sight of her child. The doctors were concerned.

"Do you not want your child?" asked one doctor.

"Want it? I can't even tell who I am half the time. The other girl must have had a boyfriend. Well, he hasn't been around lately. Maybe he got killed like the last one. In any case, I can't look after this child, you need to find them a different home."

After that, Martin spent the next eight years at an orphanage, under the given name Cyrus Hardy. While at this place, he was bullied by two other orphans.

"Hey, Cyrus, show us what you got in your backpack!" said one of his bullies.

Knowing what would happen to him if he did not comply, he opened his bag, to allow them to search it.

"Let's see here," said the other bully. "Sandwiches, books, a calculator... wait a minute!"

Smiles spread across the bullies' faces as the second one pulled out a box of playing cards.