105 A New Classmate?! (Present)

Start from the beginning

Hikari put on her slippers and snorted. "I know. I couldn't have come anyway. My parents are doing the total terror of death." She closed her locker door. "It would still have been nice if you had at least asked me."

"I'll make it up to you, okay?"

The black-haired girl smiled weakly. "Yes, sure."

"Oh, hey psycho. So you still live," Gorou whispered while passing.

"Fuck you, Egawa." Hikari underlined her statement with her outstretched middle finger. "I'll smash my natural study book over the wanker's skull."

Yuna looked after their comrade, then she said, "He's no longer sitting in front of us."

"Really? That's great news. Then I don't have to see that idiot that often."

"Yes." The blue-haired girl thought of the last, right conversation she has had with him.

It was at school before the summer holidays. The bell had just rung and the rest of the students were pouring into the classroom. Hikari and Yuna were already sitting in their seats chatting as Gorou Egawa entered the room and came to his seat.

"Morning, girls," he greeted the two.

"Hey, Egawa-kun." The tall girl smiled at him, while her friend just made a grunt as a salutation.

He deposited his backpack next to his desk. "Did you spend a nice weekend?"

"Yes," the blue-haired girl confirmed, nodding.

"I bet you've spent some time with your boyfriend. I'm a bit jealous." He stroked his light brown hair, and Yuna thought she recognized the gesture of her boyfriend.

"What crap are you talking about?" Hikari straightened up and studied her classmate.

"What?"

"She has no boyfriend, moron."

Gorou frowned. "Yes, sure. She told me so."

She glanced over at her best friend, who was interested in studying the entrance to the classroom. "I'm her best friend. Don't you think she would rather tell me than you?" She tugged at Yuna's sleeve. "Go on, tell him."

"Um... yes..." mumbled the Masuda girl.

"So why did you tell me that?" He looked at her red eye as it clicked. "Fuck. That was just an excuse. Please excuse me for bothering you with my feelings." Irritated, he dropped into his chair.

"It's not like that..."

"Wait... that little asshole confessed his love to you?" Hikari snorted loudly and slapped her flat hand on the tabletop. "I can't believe it." She turned to most of the class. "Hey guys! Egawa likes Yuna-chan. Isn't that cute?"

"Shut up, Hikari," Yuna hissed.

A few of the students laughed while Gorou blushed. "How sweet. You realize that you would never have a chance with her, right? She's way too good for you."

"Let it go." The blue-haired stared at her best friend annoyed. "Leave him alone."

"Come on. You would never go out with someone like him, would you? He's not even worth the filth under your nails that you don't even have."

"SHUT UP, HIKARI!"

The girl jumped in surprise and stared at her friend. "Y-Yuna-chan..."

"It was very brave of him that he told me that. Unfortunately, I don't feel that way for him, but that doesn't give you the right to make fun of him. You act like a total jerk." To signal clearly that the conversation was over, Yuna turned her face away.

Gorou grinned slightly for defending him, but he couldn't easily forgive her lie. It hurt.

The girls took their seats, with Yuna finding that Nisha had gone ahead them in the meantime and was already talking to Rin. She had wondered if she should ask the cat girl to sit in front of her so they could talk to each other during class, but then she thought about how dedicated Nisha always was. She didn't want to keep her friend from learning.

She unpacked her books and slid them into the compartment under the tabletop, then opened her notebook and sketched a magical girl.

"Rise!" The class jumped up from their chairs and waited for the arrival of their teacher.

Hirose-sensei entered the room with his bag, which he placed on his desk. "Good morning class."

"Good morning, Sensei."

"Narusegawa-kun."

"Sit down!" All the students sat down again.

The teacher stood in front of his desk, leaned against it and clapped his hands together. "So. I see Wada-kun is here again. I hope you did your homework."

"Of course," Hikari chirped, rolling her eyes.

"I'm glad to introduce you to a new classmate. She has just moved here and is looking forward to spending the rest of the school year with you. Aizawa-kun!"

Instantly, Yuna's neck hair rose and she strained her eyes on the door. Out of the corner of her eye, she realized that Nisha was looking over at her.

As soon as she recognized the pale blue hand that slid through the door frame, she knew she was not mistaken. Within seconds, Yukiko was standing in front of the class next to Hirose-sensei, folding her hands in front of her lap and bowing politely. She actually wore the girls' white-and-blue school uniform.

"My name is Yukiko Aizawa. I'm really looking forward to visiting the class with you and hope that we become good friends." She looked around the class until she got stuck with Yuna. Her smile became cold and hard, and her gaze remained piercing.

"Hello, Aizawa-san," the class greeted her new classmate.

"Very well. Sit down there in front of Masuda-kun," suggested the teacher, pointing to the desk.

"Naturally. Thank you." She came over and stopped in front of Yuna. "Hey."

Tense and with crunching jaws she stared at the oni. Hikari leaned forward. "Hey, Aizawa. I'm Hikari Wada. Cool hairstyle."

For a moment longer, the gaze remained fixed on the huntress, then she squinted at the black-haired girl. "Hello, Wada-san. Thank you very much."

"I wanted to dye some streaks too, but my parents keep bitching around."

"Just do it, you don't have to care what they say." Yukiko gave a cheeky grin.

Hirose-sensei cleared his throat. "Sorry, Aizawa-kun. I would like to start class."

"Just go ahead," she replied without looking at him. She stared at Yuna again.

"Um..." Somewhat perplexed, he blinked and rubbed his beard. "Erm... I wanted to say that you should sit down. You can get acquainted during the break."

"Oh." Theatrically, Yukiko whirled around and bowed. "I apologize a lot, Sensei."

"It's all right. Just get in your seat and I can start."

"Yes, Sensei." She saluted casually and dropped onto her chair, then turned back to stare at Yuna, who returned her gaze intently.