54 A French Evening 2 (Present)

"It's kind of weird when you talk like that," the police chief confessed.

His date smiled. "It's a wonderful language."

"When did you learn French?"

"Shortly after I started as a hostess. My boss suggested that I study a foreign language and build an image for myself."

He frowned. "Why?"

"There are countless pretty girls who think they can make quick money, or who hope to find a wealthy man. You have to delimit yourself from other girls, and you need something to offer." She pointed to her hair. "So I dyed my hair red and got this pixie cut. And I learned French."

"Well, I liked you better with long, black hair," admitted the police chief.

"Because you're boring."

A waiter brought them a bottle of wine to the table, uncorked it and filled a sip in the glass of Kyo. He raised an eyebrow and looked at the waiter.

Ayumi could only giggle at the awkwardness of her date. "You should try."

"Oh." The guest quickly emptied the glass.

"Garçon." The hostess pushed her glass to him. "S'il vous plaît." Nodding, he gave her a sip. "Merci." She pulled the glass back, lifted it up and stuck her nose inside.

She gleefully smelled the wine before she drank the sip. She let the wine melt on her tongue and sucked in some more air. After the first, slightly fruity impression, she tasted the harsh alcohol before a furry feeling settled on her tongue, followed by an earthy aroma on the finish. She loved this red wine, so she recommended it to her date too. Unfortunately, she had overestimated him in terms of etiquette.

"Bon." She nodded to the waiter, who poured now in both glasses.

"Wow. You can do that really well. Looks exactly like these other snobs," commented the police chief.

"This is not a show, Kyo-kun. It's all about enjoyment." She took another sip of wine. "You don't just drink a glass of wine. You enjoy it. You have to let the drop melt on your tongue and analyze it. Listen to its story."

"I prefer drinking it and listening to your lovely voice, Ayumi-chan."

Smiling, she tilted her head and stroked her hair. "Well, at least you're not totally hopeless."

As they talked, the police chief kept taking looks in different directions. He and his date really seemed to be the center of attention. He wasn't sure if it was his or her job, but they attracted attention.

He looked at the beautiful woman at his table, who undermined her story with lots of gestures. She was so different from the women he had previously dated. He'd always wanted a gray mouse to serve as a resting place, but ever since he'd met Ayumi at Yoshiro Takagi's ceremony, he couldn't get her out of his mind.

Finally, he asked her for a date, which she even agreed to. And now they had their fifth date.

They received their entrees and began their dinner. "Good appetite."

"You too, Kyo-kun."

He watched her eat her garlic baguette piece by piece. "You probably don't want to be kissed today," he joked.

"As if you dare, Mr. Policeman."

"Who knows. Maybe I'm just waiting for the right moment."

Her red lips twisted amused. "Ah yes? That would be a surprise."