42 Tandem Ride (Present)

The wind cooled Yuna's face pleasantly. She had never ridden with someone on the same bike before but had often wondered what it would be like, since she knew this scene from anime and manga when students were traveling together.

Somewhat fondly she looked at Wataru's face from the side. Fine drops of sweat gathered on his temple.

"I'm sorry, I'm so fat," she mumbled.

"Oh, come on. You weigh almost nothing. It's just way too hot," he protested.

"I know. I just wanted to say something."

He chuckled. "You need a little comforting."

"Not at all," she grumbled and looked away from him, sulking.

They drove past a baseball field where a team was training. The blue-haired watched as the batter hit the ball, dropped his bat and ran for the first base. She had seen a few games, but she couldn't really get excited about this sport. She had never tried a sport except Kendo, and even at Kendo she didn't like the tournaments. She liked the meditative.

Yuna glanced back to Wataru. He looked pretty athletic.

"Do you do sports?" she asked casually.

He took a deep breath. "Why do you think so?"

"Well ... you seem trained."

Laughing, the young man replied, "Oh no. I'm an asparagus." He breathed again. "No. I don't care about sports. And you?"

"Not really. I would like to go back to Kendo training," she admitted.

"You're doing Kendo? Cool."

A big smile appeared on her face. "For real?"

"Yes. The art of the sword and so. Though ... by now that might be boring for you, right?" he guessed.

"Why do you think so?"

"You fight for real by now."

For a moment, Yuna was confused. "I stopped it."

"Well, yeah." They fell into a thoughtful silence. "Funny that I didn't know you liked Kendo before."

"How so?"

The way went up, Wataru got up from his saddle and pedaled harder. As soon as they reached the top, he answered, "Well ... we've been together for almost three months now and I'm hearing about this for the first time."

"Hm."

The high-school student had already thought about that. They had spent so little time together so far. She was anything but a relationship expert, but somehow she had felt that their relationship was abnormal. Of course that was because her life was still an unmanageable construction site, something she couldn't be held responsible for.

"Does that bother you?" she asked carefully.

He wiped a few sweat drops from his forehead. "What?"

She bit her lower lip. "That our relationship is so weird."

The singer took a minute to think. His girlfriend clung a little tighter to him. "No." Relieved, she exhaled. "I don't know ..." Immediately she tensed again. "I think it's good as it is."

"Decide, you idiot," the blue-haired sniffed.

His sympathetic laugh sounded. "We will get to know each other better if we can spend more time together. Today I learned about you that you like Kendo."