47 Who Lies Once ... (Present)

"Gone? How?" He looked around his room, but she wasn't there. "I bet she's in the bathroom. Sometimes she wakes up at night," he explained.

"No. She's not in the pension. The sword is gone too."

Wataru yawned and straightened up. Blushing, Yui backed away as her eyes fell on his bare chest. "Sorry, Yui-chan."

"I-It's alright." She sat down so she faced the door to the room. "She really isn't here."

"And you searched everywhere?" He scrambled to his feet, reached for his cell phone and looked if he had a message from her.

"Not in the kitchen. Not in the bathroom. Not in the living room," the blonde listed.

"Maybe she's with Ayumi-chan."

"Ayumi-san hasn't come home yet." Confused, the middle-school student looked back at him. "I'm very worried."

The singer brooded. Of course, he wasn't allowed to tell Yui about the oni, but he was struck by the feeling that Yuna had gone hunting. That the Katana was not in its place spoke for that. It had been her dearest wish to quit. Maybe she needed this to relieve stress. Just as he shot virtual enemies in his games, she had to slice a beast from time to time.

He looked uncertainly at the worried expression on his girlfriend's sister's face. "I'm sure she's fine, Yui-chan."

Slightly irritated, the blonde blinked. "I beg your pardon? Do you know where she is?"

He ran a hand through his hair. "Eh, no. But she's a big girl and knows what she's doing."

"You know something. Of course you know something." The middle-school student stood up. "You are her boyfriend. She tells you everything," she murmured excitedly.

"Not at all. Maybe she wanted to get something from the supermarket, or something," the singer speculated.

"With a Katana? Don't be silly." She narrowed her eyes doubtfully.

"Yui-chan. We should just stay calm and go back to sleep. She'll be back here tomorrow morning."

After a moment's hesitation, the girl shrugged. "Alright. Goodnight." She turned away and left his room.

"Um ... yes." Blinking, he looked after her. Did she actually swallow the bait? He didn't know Yui very well yet, but he didn't think she was that gullible. "You go to bed, Yui-chan?"

"No. I'm going to Mordor to sink a ring in Mount Doom," the blonde hissed.

"Hey, very funny, Yui-chan. Go to bed, okay?"

Her face appeared again in the doorway, but she scowled at him. "You are not my father, Wataru-san."

Nodding, he swallowed once empty. "Okay. I'm sorry."

"You know something. I will find out what my sister is doing. Got it?"

He quickly licked his lips. "There's nothing, Yui-chan."

"And I also put you on the list of liars with my sister."

"Yui-chan ..."

Energetically, she shook her head. "Save it. Goodnight." She pulled the door shut and disappeared, leaving him in the dark.

He immediately dialed Yuna's number on the phone.

Damn ... Yuna-chan. What are you doing?