Chap 23

YAWAR •

I stared at the vast open sky in front of me. Watching sky was always therapeutic. It healed the wounds, we didn't know, we carried on our souls and on our wrenched hearts. It made us believe that after every dark night, comes a bright day.

I took a long drag of my cigarette and exhaled out as I watched the smoke disappear in air. After so many days, when I went to her - all she asked me was to go away and here I was so restless for her.

Finhsing the cigarette, I lit another one.

I was still at my grandmother's place after Riya ditched me. I was sitting uselessly in the lawn on the bench. Everyone was asleep by now, I knew. So smoking wasn't an issue at that time. After Kanwal's wedding and her departure, this home felt even more deserted. She was like a sister and losing one always is hard for a brother.

I stood up, and got into my car. Making my mind to come in the morning as uncle was leaving tomorrow.

• RIYA •

Pouring down the tea, I walked out of kitchen holding the mug and into the lawn. I sat in the cradle that I had grown fond of in the past couple of days. I missed Kanwal, dearly. The tea, she used to make in the mornings was life.

Mine one was just average.

I checked my mobile and I found no message from him. Even though I knew, after what I did last night, he wouldn't text me but still--.

I heard the metal gate creaking, and I looked  over my shoulder to see who had come that early. My eyes crashed with a very familiar car that just drove in.

Yawar stepped down, taking off his black glasses, he took steps in my direction. Fidgeting with my fingers, I stood up from the cradle and looked at him in anticipation as he stood right in front of me.

"Assalam-o-Alaykum!"

"Walaikum Assalam!" I answered. "How are you?"

"Right In front of you."

I nodded, looking at my feet as guilt crawled up to me.

"I wanted to apologise for last night. I shouldn't have done what I did." I looked up at him and found him staring back at me keenly, making me drop my gaze again.

"Its okay! It wasn't like you didn't miss me." His lips twitched. "Why were you mad though?"

"We really need to talk about it." I clutched the mug I was holding and gulped.

"Sure!"

I walked to the bench and he followed me. We both sat down at a descent distance and i turned to him. "I am saying it once again, please forgive me for being rude to you. I get those dark moods sometimes. It's maks me feel sick that i behaved like that when you showed up after so many days."

"It happens." He looked down, my heart taking a flip as I focused on his long eyelashes. "Sometimes we don't understand our actions. Moreover I was the one at fault. I should have told you. You have the right to know."

We sat quiet for a while, he looked peaceful to me. As if he have had a good sleep unlike me. Mustering up the courage, i turned to him again.

"Do you know? That guy from the wedding. --Hambal-- he sent his suitor."

"For you?" He oggled at me like I have grown two heads. And then I could see him clench his jaw.

I nodded. "But that's alright. I just denied."

"It's not about you denying. It's about him having the guts to do this so shamelessly when he knew we are engaged to be married."

"I know." I sighed, "but his parents were so persistent as if my denial didn't matter to them."

"So much happened and you are telling me this now?"

I glared him. "I called you so many times but you were never there."

"I am so sorry that I didn't tell you about my new number. Tell me how I can make up for it?"

I blinked the tears away. "You don't have time now to make up for things now. I am leaving this evening."

I could hear him take in a deep breath. "I know that. I asked uncle last night." He cleared his throat,  "you don't have to worry about that psych. When you are gone, I will take care of everything. Okay?"

I nodded as he gave me an assuring smile.

"Work hard and come back even prettier."

I laughed, shaking my head at his comment. "Same goes for you! And do tell me if you change your number. Don't leave me on edge across the border."

This time we both laughed.

"Sure." He fished out a box out of his coat and forwarded it to me.

I looked at him quizzically. "What is it?"

"For you to see."

I hesitantly took it, a blush dancing on my cheeks.

Assalam o Alaikum
Hope you all are okay

Assalam o Alaikum Hope you all are okay