chap 35

Y A W A  R •

When i landed, I couldn't see a Pakistani face. Airport was a mixture of different races.

I kept looking around but couldn't find anyone. I sat down on the waiting chairs and opened my phone.

I sent Safdar a WhatsApp message; 'reached.'

Then I opened the chat I had with Uncle. He had messaged me.

U: 'I spot many young men in grey tea shirts.'

Y: 'uncle tell me how do you look?'

U: 'I am dressed in brown shalwar kameez.'

Wow!

Y: 'OK lemme see.'

I leaned into the chair and closed my eyes, fatigue getting the best of me. I wanted to sleep right now, right here.

I flinched as someone placed their hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes, a fear of being in a foreign land settling in my mind and slowly turned my head over my shoulder to see who it was.

This reminded me of Zain at the airport, he had placed his hand like this on my shoulder last night. A part of me wished it to be Zain.

My eyes met a person that looked somewhat in his early fifties. He had an unexplainable twinkle in his eyes.

A frown made its way to my forehead. I thought he misinterpreted me for someone but when when I focused on the brown shalwar kameez.

Oh.

"Yawar baita? This is you, isn't it?"

I nodded, still astonished to my core. "Uncle is that you?"

He patted my shoulder in assurance and I got up to walk around the metal chairs to reach and hug him.

"This isn't my fault that I couldn't recognise you, in my recollections you were young." I chuckled, unaware of what I was saying. My heart was warmed to see him, no lie.

We hugged tightly, haven't had a hug like this in a while and it was totally needed. I recalled my hugs with Safdar and Yawar. I've had total of three hugs within 24 hours after years or so.

"And in mine, you were little." He answered as we parted. He placed his both hands on my shoulders and looked at me. "You are a man now Yawar. The last time I saw you was," he thought for a while, "-I think 17 years ago."

"Looks like a time."

"Yes. I never wanted to leave you alone like this after Mustafa left. He was like a brother to me and Allah Knows I used to treat you like my own child."

"I have faint memories." I shrugged.

"Okay. Son. You must be hungry, let's go home and have dinner."

"Uncle you have already done more than enough by receiving me at the airport. Don't tire yourself further."

"I am not a stranger Yawar. Think of me as your uncle and come home with me."

I wetted my lips and nodded, proceeding to pick my bags up.

"Give me one."

"Its alright uncle." It was really hard to hold three bags in two hands but I managed.