chap 43

● R I Y A ●

I checked my phone. It was 12 minutes past 8 in the morning. Which means Hambal has gone to work. He leaves sharp at 7:35 or if maximum late, at 7:40.

I didn't join anyone for breakfast, and I was glad enough that his parents didn't mind that, or even if they did, I had no intention of forcing myself to eat with them.

I pushed myself out of bed, freshened up, and went downstairs.

This home had househelps, so I basically had nothing to do here. Everything was done before time, the floor was clean 24/7, and there wasn't even a speck of dust on the furniture.

"What would you like to have in breakfast, bibi?" The maid in the kitchen asked me.

"The same." I told her and poured myself a glass of water.

I heard footsteps nearing the kitchen and then the voice of Ammi informing me to get because some guests were coming over to see her son's wife.

"I am dressed." I said with a straight face.

She nodded, "But you aren't wearing any jewelery or makeup."

"Ammi, when are they coming?"

"At 11 am."

I nodded, "Okay."

I had a half fried egg, pan cakes, and a cup of coffee with half a spoon of chocolate powder in it. I had brought this chocolate powder with me from home because I couldn't imagine my morning without it. Simple.

I did what Ammi had asked me to. Wore minimal makeup and jewellery so that i could stand out amongst them. I didn't know if this royal blue colour that I had chosen today to wear was significant enough to make me look like a newly wedded bride.

However, I had changed my footwear from a pair of flats to golden block heels.

This time, when I came downstairs, I could hear feminine voices coming from the drawing room. My heels clicked, and I tried to walk as slowly as I could so that I didn't make a fool out of myself.

I sat down on one of the kitchen stools and propped my chin in my palms, and watched how maid showered the tray with different varieties of delicacies.

She was to serve the tray while I displayed myself to guests. That was what we have been doing since the time I have been married.

"Choti bibi, I will be serving the chai now."

I nodded and stayed there for a few seconds. When the clattering of ceramic dishes was over, i knew it was my cue to do my entry.

"Assalam-o-Alaykum!" I casted my eyes down and walked to Ammi, taking a seat next to her.

"Walaikum Assalam! Is this Hambal's wife?"

"Gee. She is my daughter-in-law." Ammi placed her hand on my shoulder, and I smiled at her. Sometimes, it was hard to believe that she was the one who gave birth to the most cold and insensible person on Earth. Her persona is all warm and homey, and then there is my husband, the biggest jerk of all time.