Chap 55

~ Y A W A R ~

Ontario, Canada

Just how fast life was moving. A few months ago I found myself totally devastated but now, Alhamdulillah, I was nikkahfied to the most fascinating, sorted and down to Earth girl on the face of Earth.

I was a few weeks into the twenty eighth year of my life and I couldn't be any more grateful to Allah Azzawajal for blessing me with another beautiful year.

My string of thoughts were broken when the cafe door pinged. I suppressed a yawn and looked at the person.

Jazaar flashed me a smile. "Sup, dulhe mian!"  He stopped by my side. His eyes surveyed around, rubbing his beard.

"Wo aj nahi ayi." I noted down a few things about the feedback of a customer in my notepad, "anyways, we are closing in a few minutes. Do you need something?"  (She was absent today.)

His smile wavered and disappointment pooled in his eyes but the next second a cocky grin came across his lips. "Nah! I came here for you."

I shook my head. He would never ever accept that he came here for Zehra and not me.

"—I'd help with the closing." Jazaar walked to Zehra's desk where she kept her chicken and vegetable rolls and other edibles on display. Zehra had made rolls yesterday after working for extra hours after the cafe was closed. She had placed them in fridge and the chefs only fried them today and served them. She did the extra hours so that her work for today could be compensated. I was lucky as an employer for all of my employees were very hardworking.

Jazaar slid the glass of her desk and retrieved some of her handmade rolls. I picked up the cardboard box with the logo of my cafe on it, stuffed it with tissues and tossed it to him. "Before you shove the rolls in your pocket, use this!"

His cheeks reddened for a brief moment. "Q nahi ayi aj wo."  (Why didn't she come today?)

"She had to take her mother to hospital."

His hands stopped midway in filling the box. "Was everything okay?"

"Yes, it was just for a regular checkup." I shrugged. "You said you'd help with the closing."

"Oh." He scratched the back of his neck. "What do you need help with."

"Wipe this counter clean to perfection. This was Zehra's job and you have to do this in her place."

"What? I won't!"

"Muhabbet ki hi aur abhi se himmat har gye?" I eyed him up and down condescendingly. "She does this everyday!" (You are giving up so early on your love?)

"You make her wipe these shelves?"

"Will you please finish your work and let me finish mine?"

I heard Jazaar mimcik me underneath his breath and I shook it away, heading to kitchen if janitor had mopped it properly or not.

***

S: Are you free?

Y: Yes.