Chap 53

~ Y A W A R ~

Ontario, Canada

My nikah happened

My nikah happened. In the mosque of our community, Imam sahib said the prayers and then I signed papers, afterwards Sanha signed them too from the women section. It was followed by an array of congratulations, hand-shakes and brotherly hugs, ending upon the dua-e-khair.

Dry fruits, pastries, biscuits, chocolates and tea was distributed among the guests in male and female sections of mosque.

I stood in front of the spare room of mosque where my wife was. An immense storm of emotions was whirling within me. Girls giggled on their way out as they saw me and rushed away. I suppose the room was vacant now and I could go in.

My hand reached the door knob, its cold surface felt balmy against my sweaty palm and I twisted it.

Reality slapped my face and knocked the breath out of me, the woman who sat inside was not the one I had desired. Instead it was the woman who was destined for me.

I stared at her back as she was seated on the sofa, coffee table in front of her contained a jug of water, a tray of fruits and the another tray containing the delicacies distributed outside. Everything seemed untouched. Has her appetite died just like her husband's?

Husband.

My eyes softened as I slowly approached her. "Assalam-o-Alaikum!" I turned around the sofa, coming in front of her.

She ducked her head, in a mere whisper she answered my Salam. She was dressed in a white sequinned frock that I had brought for her from Pakistan. It was paired with maroon velvet shawl with the most intricate embroidery on it. Shopkeeper said it was the most expensive and valuable shawl in his shop. But it seemed nothing as sterling when I was buying it as it looked on her. She was wearing it over her white silk hijab, faintly pinned to her shoulder and dangling behind on her back.

Her honey coloured skin stood out against the white of her Nikah. I had seen once or twice at the hospital but it was just a glance and back then I had found her pretty average and unnoticeable, my brain didn't even resister her existence unless and until after it was put in my knowledge that she could possibly be my soulmate.

Her face glimmered across her cheeks bones, her eyes had the most fine eyeliner and little bit of glitter, her lips covered in a beautiful shade of maroon and a few strands of her hair peeking out of her hijab, were framing her face. There was this allurement on her face.

How long had I been standing there, bewitched, and staring at her? I don't know.

I extended my hand to her, wrinkles appeared between her eyebrows as she first looked at my hand and then at me, but then slid down her hand in mine gingerly. I wrapped my fingers around the frame of her dainty hand and helped her stand.