W.L. Chapter 22

Recap:

"Why Randy, he doesn't even fit the pattern." I don't understand, everyone else was south of us, traveling north. "I don't know, hopefully when the other Alpha's get here tonight we can make some sense of this bullshit" dad said slamming his pencil down snapping it half.

Jackson

After my dad and I prepared for the meeting tonight I went looking for my mate. I could feel a small amount of guilt radiating from her, what the hell does she have to feel guilty about? Quickening my pace I found her in the kitchen sitting with my mom, aunt, and Amy. "Jackson" my mom smiled warmly at me. I took a seat next to Dahlia and pulled her to my lap. The familiar tingles ran through my body with her touch, god I love her. She turned and placed a small kiss on my cheek "I love you too" she whispered sweetly. A huge grin appeared on my face as I placed light kisses along her neck. "I was just asking Dahlia where Mika is" Cathleen said stirring her coffee. Oh, so that's why she's feeling guilty. "I guess she decided to go for a run over at Randy's. I told him to call us if she showed back up asking for a ride" I said running my hand along Dahlia's warm thigh. "Did you piss her off" Amy asked grinning at me. "No, I didn't even talk to her Xavier did" I said sticking my tongue out at her. Dahlia giggled and rolled her eyes at me.

"You wanna go for a run?" I asked Dahlia, I was getting bored sitting with the women but I didn't want to leave Dahlia. "Um sure, Amy you want to come?" she asked. "Yeah, let me get Jake" Amy said getting up and walking downstairs. I groaned internally, I wanted to be alone with her but whatever makes her happy. "Come on" I said turning Dahlia in my lap so she could wrap her arms and legs around me. I lifted her making my mom and aunt laugh "Oh to be young and in love" my aunt said winking at me as I walked out the door with my mate wrapped around me. "What happened to Cathleen's mate?" Dahlia asked playing with my hair. "He died in a car accident. It was about ten years ago, a semi hit a patch of ice and rolled onto his car pinning him underneath. The paramedics couldn't get to him in time and his body couldn't heal fast enough." I said walking to the tree line. "That's so sad" she said grimacing slightly. "Yeah, Aunt Cathy and Mika still haven't gotten over it. Mika won't talk about it but I know she's still hurting, she was a daddy's girl" I know that has something to do with why she's so scared of mating.

Even though she won't fully admit it, I know she's scared of mating and losing him and going through the same pain all over again. Only loosing you mate would be more painful, and after watching her mother go through that I don't really blame her but it's still not a good enough reason to deny yourself and your mate each other. Hopefully she can get herself together and let it go. She really needs to move on, but then again I've never lost someone that close to me so I don't know how it feels.

After Dahlia and I shifted we walked back out to the yard and waited for Amy and Jake. Once they shifted as well we all took off into the forest. Even though the four of us had fun I couldn't quit thinking about the meeting tonight. I really hope we can get these sick bastards before they are a threat to us. Dahlia must have noticed my distracted mind because she would look at me questioningly from time to time, but thankful she didn't press me on it. I didn't want to tell her and have her worry, I just wanted her happy. 'I'm getting hungry, wanna head back' Jake said nudging me with his nose. 'Yeah, Dahlia are you ready?' I asked, her and Amy where biting each other playfully. I could hear her laughter in my head and it made me chuckle too. 'Yeah' she said turning to me and giving me a toothy smile, her eyes sparkling with amusement. Even as a wolf she's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

"You think you can have Amy take Dahlia back to your place for the meeting" I asked Jake. We had all eaten lunch and were now relaxing in the family room. Amy and Dahlia had gone upstairs to unpack Dahlia's clothes into my room. "Yeah, I didn't tell Amy about the meeting either" he said shaking his head. I wonder if Travis told Kallee. He had left while we were on our run so he could meet her after she got off work. Kallee worked in a children's doctor office, she was going to school to a pediatrician and I had no doubt she would be excellent at it. "Xavier, I'd like you to come tonight" I said looking over to him. He looked slightly surprised then smiled. "I'd be honored, plus it'd be nice to know what's going on around here" he smirked. "Yeah, just don't say anything to your sister okay? I don't want her to get worried" I asked praying he wouldn't tell her. "I won't say anything, but she'll find out one way or the other Dahlia doesn't take secrets kindly" he laughed. "I'll keep that in mind" I nodded.