W.L. Chapter 20

Recap:

"She's the one" he whispered. My mouth dropped open and my eyes went wide in shock. He found his mate? Well then why the hell is he so upset? "And this is a bad thing because..." I trailed off trying to get him talk. He threw his arm over his eyes "She doesn't want me" he said before his chest started shaking as he cried.

Dahlia

My chest tightened at the sight of my brother crying. The only other time I had seen him cry was when mom died. I can't imagine the pain of having your mate not want you. I put my hand on his chest and tried to comfort him. "What happened?" I whispered. I saw his jaw clench as he wiped his tears away angrily. He let out a deep breath staring at the ceiling. "I felt it as soon as I saw her yesterday when we were playing football; it was like she was a magnet pulling at me. And my wolf, god I've never had to fight so hard for control before" he said laughing humorlessly. "It took everything I had to not grab her right then" I smiled as I remembered what it was like when I first saw Jax. "After we were introduced to the pack I followed her inside and tried to talk to her but she just turned her back to me, so I reached out and grabbed her hand. The second our skin touched I lost all control and had to have her. I kissed her and was completely surprised when she kissed back, next thing I know we're in my room going at it like rabbits." I shivered as I tried to shake the image.

"Did you claim her?" I asked. "No, it took all I had not to, trust me I wanted to. She was adamant that I don't though" he said as sadness took over his features. What is her problem? "How can she deny her mate?" I asked thinking aloud. "She said that she's just not ready, that she doesn't want to be tied down" he said rolling his eyes. "So what, she fucks you then says goodbye?" I said growing angrier by the second. How dare she do that to my brother! This girl must have some serious issues if she's just going to turn down her mate! "Pretty much, she says she has to go back to Alaska to finish school then she doesn't know what she's doing after that. God how am I supposed to live knowing that my mate is here and I can't have her?" Xavier whined. That stupid girl! I could feel my body get warmer as my anger grew. "I'm going to go set that slut straight" I said jumping off the bed. As soon as my feet hit the floor Xavier grabbed my arm stopping me.

"Dolly calm down! I don't need you interfering, please?" he asked pleadingly. "No, Xavier, she can't just walk away from you! It's not right!" my voice getting louder. Suddenly the door slammed open and Jax was at my side in seconds pulling me out of Xavier's grip and pushing me behind him. I could feel the pure anger radiating off him as his muscled tightened, his wolf threatening to come out. "What is going on here?" he asked his voice thick with authority of an alpha. I gently laid my hand on his arm as I stepped out from around him. His muscles loosened slightly but his anger was still overwhelming. I looked at Xavier to see he had his head bowed staring at the floor. "Jax" I said trying to get his attention. His eyes were boring into Xavier looking like he was on the verge of shifting. "What the hell did you do to her?" he asked. "Nothing" Xavier said obediently. "Jackson" I said a little louder standing in front of him resting my hands on his chest. Finally he looked at me his features softening. "Calm down, Xavier didn't do anything" I said brushing my fingers across his cheek. Within seconds his anger dispersed as he leaned into my hand his eyes shutting and letting out a deep breath.

"Why were you so angry?" Jax asked. Crap I forgot he can feel my emotions. I looked down at my hands, should I tell him? It's his cousin and I know he cares deeply for her, but this is just wrong. Jax lifted my chin and looked at me questioningly. I looked at Xavier to see he still had his head hung low. "Can I tell him?" I asked knowing that even if he said no, I couldn't deny Jax anything. Xavier flopped back on the bed and groaned "I guess, it's not like you can lie to him anyway" he was right. "Mika is Xavier's mate" I started to explain "but, she doesn't want him" I could feel my anger starting to grow again. Jax huffed and ran a hand through his messy hair. "What do you mean she doesn't want him?" he asked wrapping his arm around my waist pulling me to him. I inhaled his scent instantly calming myself. "She says she doesn't want to be tied down, that she's got to back to school and doesn't know where her life is going" Xavier said from the bed. "I don't understand, how do you deny yourself your mate?" Jax asked. I shrugged "I don't know but I can't allow her to hurt my brother like this" I said feeling frustrated.