chapter 2

Dahlia

"Dolly, wake up, it's your turn to drive" Xavier complained as I continued to pretend to sleep in the backseat. "Come on, I know you're awake" he whined some more. I smiled hiding my face under the blanket. "Fine, you leave me no choice. I will fall asleep at the wheel and crash your precious baby" he said knowing that I couldn't let that happen. I love my car, a 1969 Chevelle SS coupe. Xavier and I built her from the ground up a couple of years ago. I shot up from the backseat "You wouldn't dare if you valued your life" I warned glaring at him in the rear view mirror. He smirked "Well good morning sleeping beauty." I rolled my eyes and climbed in the front seat stretching my arms and legs while yawning.

"Where's dad?" I asked looking behind us to see dark empty highway, then in front not seeing his tail lights. "He's ahead of us, I guess Devin called, Randy's not doing well. He started running a fever so dad went ahead of us" Xavier explained. I nodded my head acknowledging him. "I'm hungry, stop at the next place you see, then we can switch" I yawned. He laughed and rested his arm on the seat behind me. I stared out the window at the dark moonless night. I wonder what this pack will be like. Dad hopes that Xavier and I will find our mates one of these times. I guess most people find their mates around eighteen or nineteen, but my brother and I haven't. Xavier is twenty-one; I guess you could say he's handsome. He's got chestnut colored hair, it's longer, dusting his shoulder with a slight curl to it. He's got hazel eyes and sharp features, he's six foot with bulky muscles, girls like him. We both have tan skin, and that's the only thing we have in common physically. I have long blond hair, blue eyes, a tone body, and am only 5'7".

"Mmm, truck stop diner ten miles ahead. How's that sound Dolly?" Xavier asked glancing over at me. "That'll do" I mumbled. "What's wrong?" he asked with concerned eyes. "What do you think this pack will be like?" I asked turning so my back was against the door. I stretched my legs across the street and rested my feet in his lap. "I don't know, Dad says their real nice. I guess he stayed with them back when he was younger" he said thoughtfully. "Do think maybe we'll stay with this one?" I asked staring at my hands in my lap. "Do you want to?" he asked looking over at me. I shrugged my shoulders, is that what I want? It would be nice to settle down for awhile. Have a house of our own, not have to bunk with another family. "I wouldn't mind it. You?" I questioned. Xavier was quiet for a moment. He enjoys the moving around, more girls to fool around with. Sometimes I think he doesn't want a mate. "If that's what you want, then yeah I'm okay with it" he said smiling at me. "Do you think we'll find our mates here?" I asked. "Who knows, but I wouldn't mind trying some girls out" he smirked. I rolled my eyes, typical Xavier.

We pulled into the parking lot of the small 24 hour diner. There were a few semis parked outside, a farmer's truck, and rusted out station wagon. I climbed out of the car stretching my arms above my head and walked to the door "Come one brother, I'm starving" I called out to him as he slowly got out of the car. I sat in a booth and looked around. There were three dirty old truck drivers sitting three booths down, they all turned to stare at me. I could smell the diesel and cigarettes on them; I smiled nervously as they continued to stare.

Xavier walked in and sat across from me. "What can I getcha?" asked the waitress. She was in her mid forties and you could tell this is not what she dreamed her life would be like. Her dyed red hair was thrown up in a messy bun, her make up was overdone as well as her fake tan. Xavier smiled at her flashing his straight white teeth, she smiled back pulling her shirt down lower so you could see more of her wrinkled cleavage. I giggled and looked over the menu. "Well" he stared at her chest that was now eye level with him, "Ruby, I'll have a cheeseburger, fries, chocolate shake, coca cola, a slice of your blueberry pie, and..."he trailed off gazing at the menu "a slice of apple pie" he smiled handing her the menu back. She stood there with wide eyes, "And you?" she asked never taking her eyes off Xavier. "I will have the same, but a strawberry shake instead." I said giving her the menu. She finally looked over to me eying me up and down, "Okay, I'll have it right out." She turned and walked back to the kitchen.