Hard to think straight

Rule stood on the edge of a folding chair, her toes aching from trying to slide the silver star tree topper on top of the deep green pine tree. A yelp escaped her lips as she teetered to the side, two hands shot out and gripped Rules waist to steady her, lifting her up and placing her on the ground. Rule leaned back into the familiar warmth of Sweet Pea, the boy placing a kiss on top of her head. Sweet Pea lifts Rule up by her waist, letting her place the topper on the tree and sitting her back down. "Thanks," Rule giggled, kissing Sweet Peas lips and making her way to the kitchen.

Rule had invited Jughead, Fp, Toni, Betty, and Fangs over to eat christmas dinner that she had stayed up for 36 hours straight preparing, having to slap Sweet Peas hands away every few seconds whether it be from her backside or food. He had helped her make the rolls, which literally just involved putting butter on each roll and putting them in the oven. Nevertheless, Rule had been grateful. Sweet Pea had threw Rule over his shoulder sometime around five am after she'd fallen asleep on the counter with a sticky note stuck on her face, the recipe for roasted potatoes written on it, and had tucked her into bed. Luckily she had finished cooking the food and would only have to reheat it when it came time. They were technically eating three days before christmas since people had their own plans on christmas day.

"Go get in the shower Angel, i'll set the table." Sweet Pea quite literally shoves Rule into the bathroom, gently, but still with enough force for her to not turn around and argue. Stripping of all clothing, Rule steps into the steaming water and scrubs her scalp like her life depends on it. With all the dirt that floated down the drain Rule was sure she smelt to high heavens and her heart did a little lurch at how Sweet Pea had put up with her. When she finally got out of the shower she smelt like pine trees and cranberries, some winter shampoo and body wash set Cheryl had given her as a random gift. Drying off, Rule slipped on a robe and walked over to the vanity.

Drying her hair, Rule curled it with a thick barrel and pinned part of it up. A deep emerald eyeshadow with hints of gold in it, gold eyeliner and black mascara completing her eyes, nude lipstick and gold highlighter completing her look. Sliding open her closet door, Rule stood in front of it and contemplated what to wear, finally deciding on a long sleeve, green velvet, v neck dress that ended mid thigh. The gold snake choker Cheryl had bought her as a random present around her neck and matching snake earrings that looked as if they were biting her ears. Buckling a gold belt around her waist while slipping her feet into a matching pair of pumps, the doorbell rang to signal the arrival of her friends and family.

Running as quickly as she could in heels, Rule rushed into the living room that was now bustling with everyone she invited, putting their present under the trees and chatting amongst themselves. "Dayum." Toni whistles as Rule makes her entrance, nudging Sweet Pea who was facing the opposite direction. His whole expression changes when he looks at Rule, full of awe and love, not to mention a little lust at how much skin she was showing. "Woah," he stammers, Fangs smirking at his best friend and nudging him in her direction. Sweet Pea trips and would've fallen if Rule hadn't rushed forward to catch him. "You're making it very hard to think straight my angel," he growls in Rules ear, pressing a kiss to her neck that makes it hard for her to think straight. 

"Hey you two!" Fp shouts, partially disgusted and partially proud to see the couple together. Grabbing Sweet Peas hand, Rule dragged him to the table that he'd put all the food on, trying not to think about how good he looked in his green button up shirt that matched her dress and how it'll look even better on the floor with her dress later that evening. Once everyone's seated at the table, Rule pauses as she realizes something. "Uh, does anyone know how exactly to carve a turkey?" Laughs break out around the table, Fp gesturing for Rule to give him the knife and quickly carving the turkey, passing Rule and Sweet Pea the first pieces since they were the hosts.

For an hour and a half, the seven of them talk, laugh, and enjoy each others company until it's time to open the few presents people had brought for one another. Jughead, Fp, and Fangs opened theirs first, receiving books, leather gloves, and sunglasses. Toni slid Rule a large gift box, tearing off the paper in a heartbeat and welling up in tears. "Is this..." Rule wandered off in her sentence, Toni squeezing her hand. "I looked at over the World Wide Web for this exact guitar. We all pitched in... I thought maybe you could play it?" A tear slipped down Rules face as she looked at the acoustic guitar that had once belonged to her but had been sold when she was going through a hard time. It was made from a pale birch, black henna type designs decorating the top. She gingerly grasped the guitar in her hands, standing up from the couch and throwing the black strap around her shoulder. Her fingers gently plucked at the chords, playing the song a thousand years by Christina Perri, singing along.

"Heart beats fast
colors and promises
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid
To fall
But watching you stand alone
All of my doubts
Suddenly goes away somehow
One step closer..."

Her eyes connect with Sweet Peas from across the room and suddenly any nerves she had disappeared. Sweet Peas eyes reflected love, watching her lips move along with her strumming fingers. Rule felt completely whole for the first time in a long time, and she loved it.