Thirty Eight

Chapter Thirty-Eight: Mates pt Three
Daisy
***

My breath stuck in my chest and my heart was aching now...'This can't be happening.'

My wolf whined and tears filled my eyes now. "Ieston." I said in an attempt to keep him from continuing his story but he only continued.

"The minute I stepped into your house... I-I felt you, you called to me, and I responded immediately...I raced up the stairs and found you in the library...you don't know how much I wanted to claim you as my own but as I had reached out to you that day I saw my wedding ring, and I remember my wife who I loved completely...and as much as it hurt me to let you go in the way that I did I knew it was the only way for it to be done without hurting you further than I already knew I was."

He stopped and wiped his nose with the back of his hand as he too had begun to cry. "I'm so sorry Daisy...I can't even imagine the shit you went through, but it wasn't easy for me either...I hated myself for doing what I had to, I felt guilty and even pushedBlithe away for a while."

I didn't't know what to say.

"It's been my own personal hellish karma having you here with not only my Alpha or cousin in law but my best friend...knowing he's doing all of the things I should have been doing with you...he is a good man, but I think you needed to know the truth about me and about my fuck-ups and Cade and his alliance with your father."

I shook my head now, "They don't have an alliance."

"Yet...Cade went to Sunderland with the intention to get you to fall for him so that you'd marry him and form an alliance to get access to the trade road."

It was true that we had a large interstate that ran through the entire part of the northern side of our pack but I didn't know it was an alliance piece.

"Believe what you want Daisy, but like I said...you deserve the truth." He said before he got up and left me alone.

I sat there a moment longer trying to understand everything I had just heard.

Cade rejected his wild Mate
Ieston married his stepbrother's Mate
Ieston is my Mate

And as overwhelming as all of that was, what hurt my heart the most that Ieston had implied that Cade didn't have feelings for me but simply wanted me as an alliance piece.

'It's not true.' My wolf growled.

"Why would He lie?" I asked out loud with a frustrated sigh.

'We care about Cade, We are starting to love Cade.' She sounded in a whimpered pleading tone.

I shrugged, "and what if he doesn't feel the same about us?"

'He does, and you know it.'

"I only know what we feel...-"

"Hey...there you are." Cade said with a handsome smile on full display as he walked around the hedge, and then sat down next to me. "You okay?"

'Talk to him.'

I nodded, "just thinking about a lot of info from today."

A look of worry flashed across his face and he sat forward and took my hands into his. His touch was sweet and the concern on his face seemed genuine.

"I never meant to overwhelm you Daisy and I'm sorry if that's what's going on now...I only told you about my Mate because I felt like you needed to know the truth...-"

"The truth." I sounded with a humorless smile on my face, "any other truths you need to share with me?"

He looked at me as if trying to understand where I was coming from. Before he sighed and nodded. "Actually yeah, I have to be honest with you in everything Daisy...and the truth is that I knew about you before I went to your pack, honestly I went to the pack for you."

"Excuse me?"

"Blithe had told me all about you, she had met you at a wedding...Ieston mentioned that your father had been wanting an alliance with us for a while now and Blithe pointed out that you were single and I was single so maybe we could marry each other, then still speaking hypotheticals we started talking about what each pack would gain in being married to one another and on our side we'd gain access to your former packs trading road."

"So you only want me for a fucking road?" I asked angry now?

"No...I want you because I have feelings for you and I can be myself when I'm with you, road or not I am still standing behind you being my Luna if you'd accept that role, but that's your choice."

I reached up and touched his face before I sighed, "you don't want me."

"I do, dammit Daisy can't you see how much you mean to me?" He sounded a little sadly now, "I know it's unconventional and really fucking fast but it's true."

"Would I still mean as much to you if you knew that I was rejected by my own mate?"

"That wouldn't bother me any...if anything I'd selfishly be relieved knowing I don't have to look over my shoulder waiting for your Mate to tear you away from me."

"Would you still be unbothered to know that my rejector mate is your Beta Ieston?"

_____

Cade

My ears were ringing with her final admission.

"Ieston." I said for verification.

She nodded.

Every possible though flew through my head and question after question began to fill my mind.

'Did they mess around?'
'Did he cheat on my cousin?'
'Was this why he was such a dick towards her being here?'
'Does Blithe know?'

But my last question was too strong for me to keep to myself.

"How could you let me fall for you when you knew your Mate was right here...that's why you didn't want to talk about your Mate before...did you only agree to come here because you knew he'd be here?" I asked angrily.

I had promised myself after I had to reject my Mate to guard my heart and here I was letting this person in only to have her fuck me over now.

"No." She said with tears streaming down her face now.

I looked away from her, I couldn't look at her.

"Cade I swear I didn't know."

"How in the fuck didn't you know who he was...you said he rejected you, something that has to be done in person."

"It was the day of my first shift, I went upstairs to get away from everyone and he must've followed me, he told me to close my eyes and I swear I never, never saw him despite me wanting to open my eyes I kept them closed and he rejected me before anything could happen...I didn't know him before my shift and since he rejected me before my shift I didn't know who he was after my shift, everything I feel for you is real Cade I was going to tell you I was rejected but I only just found out it was Ieston."

I nodded and didn't know what to say.

I stood up after that. "I think we have a lot of stuff to think about Daisy."

She nodded in agreement but stayed seated.

"I'll call Blithe, I'm sorry but I think you should go home."

With a heavy heart I walked away from her, for the second time in my life I was having to reject a girl I wanted to be my Luna.