Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen: Like the Kids Do
Daisy
***

I pulled up to the orphanage and smiled as I watched Cade piece it all together.

"Daisy." He sounded as he got out of the car.

"Welcome to the Sunderland Orphanage...You know, school's started for these guys, so a lot of them could use a break every now and again...Since it's Saturday I figured we could come and hangout with them for awhile."

He just looked at me.

"Come on, I come here all the time." I assured him.

He followed me inside and the ladies at the front desk greeted me with hugs and smiles.

"Most of the kids are just finishing up their morning chores, but you're more than welcome to take them out for a while."

"Thanks." I said as I moved through the building with ease, Cade remaining behind me the whole time.

"My great grandparents built this place after the big rogue attack back in the 30's...there were a lot of kids who lost parents...then it was pretty empty for a good while, but it seems like it's filling up again." I said as we walked through the large building.

"Why?"

I shrugged, "most of the time you'll see it's because the female had a baby from someone who wasn't her mate, sometimes parents both pass, other times it's the grandparents forcing their underage daughter to give up her baby...whatever the reason it's here to help."

"Daisy!" some of the little girls sounded excitedly as they ran up and hugged me.

I kneeled down and hugged them each, "Hey girls...it's so good to see you, can you call everyone outside for me please?"

The three girls nodded, I knew they'd get the small task done so I motioned to Cade to follow me outside.

We stood in the middle of the open field awaiting the children.

"You brought me to an orphange to play with kids?" He asked.

There was a softness to his blue eyes.

I smiled but shook my head, "No...I brought you here so you could drop any expectations put on you and just enjoy yourself...furthermore, I brought you here so you can catch-up on the games you missed out on."

Just then a hoard of kids came rushing out with sounds of excitment. I settled them all down and spoke up.

"Hey guys, so I thought we could have a game day...you see my friend Cade here has NEVER EVER played like any games...So how about we show him what he's missing out on?"

They all cheered.

"Okay, Okay." I laughed "We have to decide on a game to play and NO hide and seek, theres too many of you find."

The kids started shouting out various games from Lava, Baseball, Hide and Seek (even though I asked them not to play that one), and assortment of others.

"What about Red rover?" I asked excitedly.

I got a collective "NO" this of course made Cade laugh, and it was a genuine laugh, I looked at him and smiled.

"Come on guys, that was one of my favorites." I countered.

"It's not fair for little kids like me." One of the little boys spoke up.

He was right, it was tougher to break through if you're smaller, and the kids ages ranged from 6-17.

"Freeze Tag?" I offered.