Notice Me

Wakatoshi Ushijima had it in his mind that he will join a strong volleyball team. That is the wish his father had made before he divorced his wife and moved overseas. His father had a selfish request against his in laws' wishes - to keep Wakatoshi's left handedness in order to become a strong volleyball player; and that is what he had achieved. He wanted to become the ace of the team, and in order to do that, he has to give off a feeling of security and strength to boost his team's morale. And in order to do that, he wanted to play with the strongest team, to encounter new abilities, and to grow.

So it was no brainer that he chose to go to Shiratorizawa Academy as it was known to be the top school in both academics and sports. Wakatoshi has been on the volleyball team since middle school.

And ever since then, that was the only thing he cared for: volleyball and nationals.

Until one day, a rumor started spreading about a young brunette from Year 1 in the high school division. Guys and girls were whispering every time the girl came into the classroom and Wakatoshi had no idea why, yet he really didn't care either. He never really noticed her until she was talked about during the breaks. He noticed that she had long wavy brown locks and her eyes were as blue as the clearest sky. She would never talk to anyone in the classroom. And when lunch had came, she always dashed out of the class and towards the shoe lockers.

Wakatoshi shrugged as he was walking out of the same classroom and towards the cafeteria. Walking with his first year friends from the volleyball team, they headed to their usual table. He sat down and looked at Satori Tendo, where he noticed that the same brunette girl was sitting four tables down behind him. He watched as the girl was smiling and laughing with her two friends, one with a slender figure with dark grey hair, and the other who was busty with blonde hair. He found it interesting that she did had friends after all.

Yet, the rumors about her never stopped. Curiously, he asked his fellow first years friends what the whispers were about.

"What is everyone whispering about?" Wakatoshi asked during the warm ups for volleyball.
"Eh? You don't know?" Semi raises both of his eyebrows.
"We're talking about Wakatoshi here. Of course he wouldn't know." Tendo snickered.
Wakatoshi furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, "What are you guys talking about?"
"You're just densed, that's all." Tendo patted his friend on the shoulder.
"Why do you want to know?" Reon raised an eyebrow curious why Wakatoshi wanted to know. Everyone knew it was obvious that Wakatoshi was all about growing strong and winning at volleyball.
"Because everyone is talking about it."
"Ah, it's just that Daisuke, first year on the soccer team, got caught cheating~" Tendo hummed. "Poor girl. I heard she's in your class."
"She is." Wakatoshi nodded.
"Is anyone bullying her?" Semi raised an eyebrow.
"Why would they?"

And that's when Semi and Reon shifted their gazes to the ground. Tendo, on the other hand, jumped onto the subject rather quickly.

"That's because he's telling everyone that he took her virginity and she is the best sex partner everrrrr."
"Why would he say that?"
Tendo shrugged, "Maybe it's an ego thing. So a lot of girls are trying to scare her and a lot of the guys are planning to date her just to get laid."
"That's stupid."

And just like that, the conversation ended.

Ever since the last conversation, Wakatoshi noticed whenever someone was talking about the girl, she never flinches. He noticed that she would ignore everyone, but she would give kindness to the same snickering people whenever she could. She'd help out her fellow classmates with the after school chores whenever they wanted to bail out and never complained. He noticed when she would struggle through math class because she doesn't understand and goes pale when she receives a bad mark. He noticed that since she needs to study more than others, she couldn't afford to join her friends' MMA club or else she would have to leave the school.

He started to notice the little things about her. How when she laughs, wrinkles at the outer corner of her eyes would form. When her hair gets in her face too often, she'll puff up her cheeks and tie it in a high ponytail. Or how she likes to take small bites of her food and cover her mouth when she laughs.

These little things are starting to get on his nerves. Why is he paying so much attention to her in the first place? He didn't noticed her in the beginning of Year 1, so why now? Was it because he was curious what it would be like to have sex with the best partner in the school? Or was it because he didn't understand that even with all these rumors, she was still laughing and smiling with her friends?

That is when him and his friends passed by a group of boys behind the school and heard the girl's name.

"Man, Yukina was definitely the best at sex. I can't believe I got caught cheating. I would've kept her around for that pussy." The boys laughed.

Wakatoshi walked up to the group as he narrowed his eyes onto the boys. He was mad. He didn't know why. But he didn't like how this guy was degrading her just for sex. His friends were curious about what was going to happen so they followed. The other group of boys stopped laughing as they felt a presence coming near and the young boy in the center came forward.

"Could I help you?"
"Are you Daisuke?" Wakatoshi's low voice rumbled through the air. Daisuke was surprised but didn't back down.
"So what if I am?"
"I don't understand the purpose of you telling everyone about Yamamoto being the best sex partner."
Daisuke smirked, "Are you jealous that you didn't get to take her virginity?"
"No, I just feel bad that she ended up giving it to some asshole who didn't care for her."

Daisuke clicked his tongue since he didn't know what to say against that. But his smirk never left his face.

"Well, it's too late now. Since I took hers, she'll always be mine. She wanted to take me back even though she found out I was cheating. How sad is she?"
Wakatoshi narrowed his eyes even more, if that was even possible, his deadly aura increased around him. He was definitely angry. "If you were to even mention her name again, let alone go near her, I will end you."

He left the group with a scared looking Daisuke. His knees buckled down and he dropped to his butt because he was sure that his life would've ended right there and then. Just remembering how scary Wakatoshi was just a minute ago was able to give him shivers throughout his spine.

Wakatoshi took it upon himself to protect that smile of hers from that day on, though he never knew why. But every time he saw the smile and hear her laughter, his stomach was uneasy. He wanted to talk to someone about this but whenever he did, his friends told him he was having a crush on her. What is a crush? Does he really like her? But why?

Year 1 ended and Year 2 began. Throughout the whole year, Yukina had been going on a dating frenzy with all the popular boys throughout the school. Some older, some younger, some the same age. But they soon later left the relationship with a gloom looking Yukina and a victorious looking male.

In Year 2, he happened to be in the same class as the blonde and when people were talking about her friend, she would blow up. She claims that all the boys admitting on sleeping with Yukina were telling lies and were only saying that since they would look like losers for not being able to add her to their collection. Year 2 Yukina was the girl every guy would have dreamed of. She had gained weight in all the right places and she had a slim waist. Any guy would try to tap that, but no one would admit that they failed.

Everyday at lunch, the volleyball boys would sit at the same table, four tables away from Yukina and her group, and Wakatoshi would sit at the same spot so that he could observe her. Making sure that she was smiling, having no worries, and just having fun with her friends. Just seeing her happy was enough for him and he still doesn't understand why.

Until Year 3 happened and that's when his whole world changed.