Chapter 9A

"Ehhhh?? You guys are leaving me next week?" Yukina slumped on the cafeteria's table as she pouted. "Why do you guys need to have a training camp?"
"So that we can be stronger than the boys team." Yumiko punched her fist in her open palm as an evil grin appeared on her face. Emma shook her head and sighed.
"All the teams are doing some kind of training camp over the summer, Yukina."
"Eh? So does that mean the boys volleyball too?"
"Why don't you ask your boyfriend behind us."

Yukina hummed in confusion when she slanted her body to the left and saw that Wakatoshi was four tables behind them. He glanced up to see her staring and gave her a nod as she waved and smiled. Tendo leaned over as well and smiled and waved. Yukina laughed nervously.

"I never really talked to the volleyball team." Yukina looked down at her lunch shyly.
"But he's the captain?" Emma raised an eyebrow.
"And you go to their practices." Yumiko mimicked Emma's action.
"Yeah but I never got their names." Yukina sighed. "Like I know who they are we'll exchange greetings in the hall but I never got their names."
"Ushijima-san needs to do a better job." Emma sighed.
"Yeah! Like you know everyone on the girls and boys MMA team!" Yumiko cheered.
"Maybe you should go over there and sit with them." Emma gave her a gentle smile. "It seems like that red headed guy's been dying to talk to you."
"What do you mean?"
"You don't realize that he greets you all the time when you look at Ushijima-san?" Yumiko raised an eyebrow.
"This is why you always get yourself hurt. You don't look at the things around you." Emma sighed again.
"It's okay! That's why she has us!" Yumiko proceeded to laugh as if she won something. Emma looked at her like she was stupid.
"Just go over there and ask about the training camp."

Yukina nodded slowly and got up from her seat. She made her way down four lunch tables and then stopped in front of the boys volleyball team. Tendo was the first one to speak.

"Yukina-chan~ you came!" He grinned widely. Yukina couldn't help but furrow her eyebrows as she laughed nervously.
"Hi Tendo."
He gasped dramatically. "How did you know my name?!"
"I told her." Wakatoshi announced as he stared at Tendo deeply.
"Oho~ someone is getting jealous." Tendo proceeded to tease even more.
"You need to stop teasing or he'll do something to hurt you." A guy with his sides shaved but left the top alone spoke out. He glanced over to Yukina and gave her a nod. "I don't think we've introduced ourselves?"
"Uh, no. I'm Yukina Yamamoto." Yukina held out her hand and the guy gently took it while giving it a firm shake.
"Reon Ohira." Yukina gave a nod.
"Is there something that you need?" Wakatoshi raised an eyebrow.
"Ah, I just wanted to know if you guys had a training camp next week?" Yukina smiled sheepishly.
"Of course we do. How else would we get stronger?"
Yukina pouted as she played with the hem of her skirt. "And here I thought I'd get to spend some time with you..." she whispered but Tendo was able to hear.
"I know right! Summer is when you get to play and relax~ But noooo, we have to practice." Tendo groaned. Yukina chuckled inwardly and softened her eyes with a smile.
"Well, have fun next week." She went back to her table after she waved goodbye and sighed as she sat back down. "This is lame."

Summer break had started and for the first week, Yukina had nothing to do so she was bored. Sure she was playing with Toshiro and doing her homework, but she wanted to play. And she can't play if none of her friends or boyfriend was around. At least tonight was the last night and tomorrow she was bound to see at least one of them.

Yukina was getting ready to go to bed when her phone started vibrating on her nightstand. Unplugging it from the charger she pressed her screen to accept the call.

"Why are you calling me?"
"You couldn't just say hello first?"
"Oh. Hello Wakatoshi. Why are you calling me?"

There was a brief moment of silence causing Yukina to get worried. But then he spoke.

"I just wanted to hear your voice."

Yukina immediately blushed. Her cheeks rising with heat as she could imagine what she looked like. She's glad that he misses her, to the point where he would even call her. In fact, she did miss him too. His tall build and huge hands. His low and husky voice and his comforting smell. But she shook her head, she can't be dragged into a relationship again.

"I missed you."

Yukina widened her eyes as she heard the low whisper.

"I'm sorry. Did the Wakatoshi Ushijima, the ace from powerhouse Shiratorizawa Academy, told me that he misses me?"
"Wouldn't anyone miss their significant other if they haven't talked in a week?"
"Well it's not my fault that you never texted me."
"I was busy with practice."
"I was busy with practice." Yukina mocked. But she could hear a sigh on the other end.
"Are you busy tomorrow?"
"Mmmmmm. I don't think so, why?"
"Do you want to do anything?"
"Are you even going to make it in time?"
"We're heading back right now. The others are sleeping on the bus."
"Oh. That would explain why you're whispering." Yukina giggled. "Can we go to the amusement park? They recently just opened it!" Yukina was crossing her fingers to see if Wakatoshi would say yes. He looks so serious that it looks like he does nothing for fun.
"Is that what you want?"
"Yes!"
"Sure. We can meet at your house at 10 tomorrow morning?"
"Yay!" Yukina threw her hands up in the air as she flopped back to her bed. "I'm so excited!"
"Why?"
"The last time I went to the amusement park was like ten years ago. And I've been so bored lately." Yukina pouted. "No one wanted to play with me. Even Toshiro went out with his friends!"
"Went out?"
"Well hung out at his friend's house but same thing."
"I'm sure people would play with you when they're not busy." Yukina could hear him yawn on the other side.
"You should probably sleep."
"Yeah, I should. Good night."
"Good night! And Wakatoshi?"
"Yes?"
"I've missed you too."

And so the two hung up with a smile on their faces, excitedly waiting for tomorrow to come.

Yukina was waiting downstairs in the living room and was playing with her brother till she heard the doorbell ring.

"Toshi-nii!!" Toshiro got up and quickly ran to the door. He jumped up, trying to unlock it but to no avail. Yukina giggled to herself as she watching his determination. She unlocked it and once she opened the door, the little four year old ran and smacked himself into the shins of a tall guy. "Toshi-nii!!" He smiled happily as he grabbed a hold of his pants. Wakatoshi nodded and picked him up.

Wakatoshi was wearing a simple black tee shirt with a pair of khaki shorts and some sneakers. Even though the outfit  was so simple, it was enough to make Yukina swoon. Maybe it was because she didn't get to see him in so long.

"Ready?" His deep voice rumbled through the silence.
"Can I come too?" Toshiro pleaded with his big watery eyes.
"It's a date between your sister and I." Wakatoshi ruffled his hair. Yukina couldn't believe what she was seeing right now. Toshiro pouted some more and waved his arms for his sister. Yukina grabbed a hold of him and patted his head.
"Next time okay?"
"Like brother sister date as ice cream?"
"Yes, just like that time." Yukina chuckled softly. "I'll be real quick."

Wakatoshi nodded and waited outside for a moment before Yukina came back out and ready to head out. The two of them were walking in silence when Yukina decided to break it.

"You know, you kind of looked like a dad back there."
"Back where?" Wakatoshi raised an eyebrow.
"When you carried Toshiro! So dad like!" Yukina laughed to herself. "Do you want to try holding hands?" Yukina held out her hand as Wakatoshi stopped in his tracks. He looked at the fragile little hand in front of him and then up to the smiling face from the brunette. He slowly took a hold of it and Yukina could feel every inch of the rough skin that intertwine with her fingers. She hummed happily as the two continued their walk to the bus stop.