A nice surprise

Amelia

I arrived at school and got everything ready for the new kids. As their parents brought them into the classroom, I greeted all of them with a smile. The first day was a half-day for the students, so this gave me a chance to get to know them.

They were the sweetest group of kids. But the new teacher next door was loud.

"Okay, class, I want you all to draw me a pretty picture as I go have a talk with the teacher next door," I said as they all started drawing.

I left my classroom and went next door to see a guy on the floor and kids crawling on him.

"And then the big bad wolf said I would huff and puff and blow your house down," he growled as he became erect, making a blowing sound. The kids laughed. That was different.

I knocked on the door.

"Okay, kids, back to your seat, and we will read another story after I find out what this person wants," he said as he ushered them back to their seats. He walked over to the door, and my eyes widened, and my mouth opened.

"Lia?"

"Colton?"

"What are you doing here?" He asked me, surprised.

"I'm teaching next door. I came over because the new teacher is loud," I said as I started laughing. He smiled and laughed.

"Yeah, sorry about that, I was reading the kids a story. Guess it got out of hand," he smiled.

"That's all right," I said to him.

"After school, you want to catch a bite and catch up?"

"I'd like that," I answered.

Colton went back to his class as I went back to mine. I couldn't help but smile. What are the chances?

After class and all the kids left, I was straightening up when someone knocked on my door. I turned to see Colton standing there.

His hair was shorter; he had a beard and filled out a bit. But he still had those beautiful brown eyes. I grabbed my stuff and walked over to him.

"Ready?"

"You will not make me beg, are you?" I asked him with a smile.

He chuckled. "No, not this time," he answered.

I giggled.

We walked out of the classroom and down the hallway as we went to get some lunch.

Colton

Never in a million years would I ever be working with Lia, my Lia. That has to be a sign. I noticed she wore my promise ring around her neck on a chain. That gave me hope.

We went to a cafe and ordered some food, then took a seat. I sat there looking at Lia. It had been four years since we saw each other.

Her hair was shorter than it used to be, her makeup was still minimal, but her brown eyes still had that sparkle, a sparkle I had missed.

"So, what have you been up to," I asked her.

"Not much, I just finished school then got a job at the elementary school."

"I bet you're beating the guys off with a stick," I joked.

"Funny thing, after we broke up, I didn't date anyone. I just focused on school," Lia said as she took a sip of her drink.

"Really," I asked a bit surprised.

"Yep, I figure, it would be better if I focused on school. What about you?"

"Same," I answered.

I watched a smile curl upon her lips. She had a beautiful smile. We talked more than we caught up. We laughed about everything. It was nice to have this moment with her. I missed her so damn much.

After we finished, we went for a walk along the river. It reminded me of prom night. A night I hold near and dear to my heart.

That's when I decided this was my second chance with her. "Lia?"

She turned to me. "Yes," she asked.

I didn't hesitate; I placed my hands on her face as I crashed my lips onto hers. She tensed at first, then relaxed before placing her hands on my back and kissing me back. After a few minutes, I pulled away and pressed my forehead against hers.

"I've wanted to do that the minute you knocked on my classroom door," I said to her.

"Then why didn't you," she asked me as I looked at her. A smile formed upon our lips.

"God, I've missed you, Lia," I said as she looked at me. "After our breakup, I couldn't bring myself to date anyone else. They weren't you," I said.

"It's the same with me. That's why I wore your promise ring," she said as she held up the chain that held the promise ring. That made me smile even more than I pulled her into a kiss again.

Having my arms around her was the best feeling in the world. I never wanted to be apart from her ever again.

"I love you, Lia."

"I love you too, Colton," she said as I held her in my arms.

I let go of her and slid my hand into hers as I intertwined our fingers. She wrapped her arm around mine as she leaned her head on me as we walked. I leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

Even though we broke up, my love for Lia never faded. It was more durable than ever. One day I would keep my promise and replace her promise ring with a wedding ring.