Not everything is as it seems

Reed

I left school after Amelia's surprise kiss. I knew I took it too far with the butt grabbing, but everyone has this idea about me. I had some lothario reputation when the truth was I had other things to deal with my dad.

I walked in and met my dad screaming at me. "Why do I have to find out you got a B+ on a test by checking online? What did I tell you about screwing around? Do you want to kick off the team?"

"No," I mumbled.

"No, what?" He glared at me.

"No, sir," I responded adequately.

"Reed, you better straighten up and fly right, or you can forget about money for school," he threatened me. "I expect you to be studying now," he barked.

I turned and went up to my room. I had one of those fathers. If I got an A, he expected an A+. Anything less was unacceptable. Plus, I had football practice. I didn't even like sports.

But in Dad's words, no son of his would be a pansy.

I went into my room and opened a drawer, pulling out a bottle and popping a pill. I would need it if I planned to study all night. I threw the bottle back into my drawer and shut it, knowing tonight would be a long one.

Around two a.m., I finally called it a night. I rubbed my face and crawled into bed. I had a history test tomorrow.

I woke up barely, got dressed, and grabbed some breakfast. Then I got a pep talk from my dear old dad.

"I want to know what you get on your history test as soon as you get done," he ordered me.

"Yes, sir," I answered I got up and left for school but not before he yelled, "you better not get anything less than an A! Do you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," I mumbled.

I went to school and took my test. Once I finished, I handed it in and waited for the teacher to grade it. As soon as he finished, he handed it back to me. What the hell?

I took it back to him, "Excuse me, sir. I think you made a mistake. I'm pretty sure I got all of them correct."

"Let me see," he said as he took the paper and rechecked it. "Nope, you missed four. I'm sorry, Reed." He handed me back the paper. Shit, I knew what was coming when I got home. Dad warned me.

All-day, I couldn't focus. That test messed me up. When I got home, my father met me at the door.

"Well," Dad asked.

I handed him the test as he snatched it from my hands. By the look on his face, he was furious. Then that's when the belt came off. He laid into me over and over.

"I told you an A! Why won't you listen?" He screamed. Whack! "You ungrateful little shit!" Whack!

With each swung, the belt hit my back, harder and harder. I said nothing. I just took it, and I refused to cry. If I did, Dad would hit me more. To him, crying meant you were weak.

Once he finished, I looked at him, emotionless.

"I hope you learned your lesson," he said in a calm tone.

"Yes, sir," I responded.

"Now, I want you to study," he ordered. I turned and walked upstairs, never flinching or showing pain. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

I went into my room and closed the door, locking it. Then I pulled off my shirt. I stared at my back in the mirror; the welts were already forming next to the old marks.

God, I hated him. At some point, I would get the hell out of here or at least die trying. I had a feeling it might be the latter.

Amelia

I came into school to find Colton at his locker. Do I approach him or not? I'm pretty sure I knew the answer to that. I went to my school locker when I heard him call me, "Oh, hot lips."

I stopped dead in my tracks and cringed when he called me that. I turned around and walked towards him.

"Did you need something?" I asked him.

He leaned against the locker. "I was just wondering when you lecture someone if you always randomly kiss some twit?" He smiled, and I didn't.

"Oh, does it bother you?" I asked him.

"Who me? Nope," he answered.

I could feel my left eye twitch.

"Wow, you are naïve, aren't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked defensively.

"It means you live in a bubble, and someone will pop your bubble," he told me. I didn't like the sound of that. "Let me spell it out for you. Because you're all innocent, I will have to look out for you."

"I don't need a bodyguard," I huffed as I crossed my arms.

He stood up and walked towards me as I stepped backward until my back hit the lockers. He placed a hand on the side of me on the locker.

"That's where you're wrong. People like you get eaten up but others, then spit out. So, I will make it my goal to see that doesn't happen." Then he leaned closer. "Because one day, I will make you mine and only mine."

My eyes widened, and jaw dropped as he stepped back and smirked.

Oh god, what did I get myself into with Colton? Oh, that's right, I begged him for a date, FML.