Changes

Amelia

Over the summer, the five of us spent it together; then, it was finally off to school. Colton and I said goodbye to each other, and I said goodbye to the others as I made my way off to school in the fall.

I arrived and got settled, then classes started. Colton and I tried to maintain a long-distance relationship, but it was hard, especially with levels.

We decided maybe it was time to end things. If destined, we would find our way back to each other. It sucked, but we were both fines with it.

Dad stayed in contact with the three of us. He wanted to make sure the boys were doing okay, and they regularly called him for advice.

I focused on my studies. I removed my promise ring and placed it on a chain around my neck. When I got lost in thought, I would touch it of a reminder what Colton had told me.

Guys would ask me out, but I always declined. I focused on my studies.

I made it through my first year, and when I returned home, the boys stayed at school. Said they wanted to take as many classes as possible. I couldn't blame them, although I missed them both, especially Colton.

When I went back for my second year, I ended up with an unexpected roommate in the form of Luana. Thank God. I prefer to room with someone I know.

We got takeout and hung in our room.

"Have you spoken to Colton since the breakup," she asked me.

"I spoke to him here and there. Colton's been busy with school. Dad talks to him more than I do. I think he should have dated him," I said as we both laughed.

"Who knows, maybe one day, you two will meet again," she said wistfully. I smiled at that thought.

As the year went on, I thought less and less about Colton. I was so busy focused on my studies that I just wanted to get through school.

I also figured out what I wanted to do. I wanted to work with kids. I was an elementary school teacher. I knew it would be a lot of schools, but I wanted to help kids learn.

The school became a blur as I studied - only a couple more years to go.

Colton

When Lia and I broke up, it wasn't a bad breakup. It was amicable. With our schedules, we didn't have time to see each other. Plus, I didn't want to hold her back from meeting someone if it happened.

I missed her every day.

I threw myself into my schoolwork. I stayed in contact with Luke, Reed, and Jaime. It helped.

I became a teacher, an elementary school teacher. I liked school, just not all the bullshit that went with it. I loved to read, and I wanted to teach kids to love to read. It helped while I was growing up.

Reading was vital in keeping me from losing my mind. It felt like a lifetime ago. That life I knew was over and replaced with something better. All thanks to Lia and her family. I owed them everything.

As I worked my way through school, when I became a senior, I had applied for a teaching job at an elementary school back in my hometown. I got a notification for an offer to teach first grade. I couldn't wait.

Over time, I grew a beard, and I had changed, filling out a bit. Looking in the mirror, I didn't look like the same guy I was five years ago. I didn't feel like it. I felt better.

Guess having the right people in your life will do that.

As I finished up my senior year, it relieved me to finish school. Funny, I was happy to be leaving school only to teach. Irony at its best.

The senior year flew by, and I graduated with honors. Luke and Natalie came to see me. Lia was graduating two days later.

After graduation, I packed up and loaded up the car. I was on my way to my new place, and Luke helped me secure a place a month before graduating. I couldn't thank him enough.

Once I got settled, I checked out the school I would work in and had to meet with the principal. He did all my paperwork and showed me the classroom I would be in to teach. He also told me quite a few new teachers were coming this year.

I stood in the classroom and walked over to a desk. I reached inside and pulled out a piece of folded up paper taped to the top.

I opened it and read it.

One day I want to be a teacher, Colton Hardwick, age 6.

After all these years, I got to keep my dream. They couldn't take that from me. I folded the note and placed it in my wallet, then smiled before leaving the classroom.

Amelia

After graduation, I returned home. I wanted to save some money before finding my place. I also had to meet with the principal of my old elementary school.

When I arrived, I filled out my paperwork; Then he showed me my classroom. He explained that there were two new teachers, and one had a room next to mine. I was curious to find out who would be my colleague.

I looked around the classroom as I smiled. It was my old classroom. It's funny how you end up where you start. I had a feeling this job would change my life in more than ways than I expected.