The setup

Amelia

I found out things about Colton. If we were going out on Friday, I needed some background information. Who better to give me the data but the source himself?

I found him sitting at a table, reading, alone at lunch. I walked over and took a seat.

"Is there a reason you joined me?" He asked, not looking up from his book.

"Since we are going out on a date Friday night, I figure we could get to know each other a bit," I said.

"Isn't that what a date is?" He questioned me.

"Sure, if you see it that way. I just figured we could get some basic information until then, plus I need to give you my address along with time," I added.

"You live at 5423 Mockingbird Lane. I will pick you up around six and take you to dinner, then a movie. Be ready," he said, never looking at me once.

"How do you even know that?" I asked him a bit stunned.

"It helps when you pay attention to things and people," he replied, still looking at his book.

"How? Considering you have your head buried in a book," I said with irritation in my tone.

He snapped the book shut, "Because I can multitask, unlike many people consumed with one thing." Damn, he didn't even smile. Does this guy also have a personality? My thought would be a no.

"You don't like people, do you?" I asked him curiously.

"Define like," he said.

"Usually people are friendly to each other. You're anything but," I told him.

"People are fake. They pretend to be something they aren't. They act one way but are different alone. What you see is what you get with me. Does that answer your question?" He asked me.

"I don't think that's true," I said defensively.

"Oh?"

"Yes, you give me an example," I said confidently.

"Take your two friends, for instance. Lily and Aria, who dared you to ask me out only to watch you fall flat on your face. The reason being that they're jealous of you because guys want to date you, and no one asks them. A classic example of being fake," he reasoned.

"I don't think that's true," I replied.

"Oh? Then why do they have stupid looking grins on their faces?" He pointed at my friends. I turned to see them smiling, but not subtly. Oh god, they set me up.

I slowly turned back to him.

"Don't worry; I will still take you out, so you don't look like an utter fool to them. Maybe you should invest in new friends," he advised.

I didn't know what to say. I so wanted to call off this date, but then my so-called friends would laugh at me.

"You can go now unless you want to engage in more truth," Colton told me.

I looked at him as he had his fingers interlocked with each other.

"Truth is in the beholder's eye," I shot back, trying to cover up my hurt.

"No, truth is what it is. It's harsh, cold, and unforgiving. People want the truth, but when they get it, they can't handle it. I would rather be truthful than believe a lie," he said.

I furrowed my brows. I know what Colton was saying was true. I think that's what bothered me the most. Out of everyone at school, he was different.

I can't believe the people I thought were my friends set me up. I made a fool out of myself because I found them and took a dare, ugh.

"Okay. We'll go out Friday, then we never have to speak again," I said to him.

He looked at me. "Is that what you want?"

"You made me beg. Aria and Lily set me up. There's not much more humiliation than that," I said, trying to maintain my composure.

"Fine. I'll see you on Friday." He shrugged and went back to his book. I got up and walked out of the cafeteria. I made my way to the ladies' room to use the bathroom.

Then I heard voices.

"I can't believe she did that," Aria exclaimed.

"That was funny, seeing him make her beg. I can't wait until they go out. Colton has a reputation for getting what he wants. Maybe if he pops her cherry, she can stop acting like miss goody two shoes," Lily laughed.

I sat there listening to them.

"I can't wait. Amelia will be another notch on the bedpost," Aria giggled.

"That's good because Amelia deserves it. I can't stand her innocent act. All the guys want a chance to pop her cherry. It looks like Colton is the lucky winner," Lily added.

"This is pure gold," Aria snickered.

I waited for them to leave as I sat there. I thought I would be sick. Colton was probably in on it. I wouldn't put it past him, and now it stuck me going out with him on Friday night, great.

I needed to figure out how to get the hell out of this date and fast. That was one reason I turned down guys in this school. They all wanted one thing, and to me, I didn't want to give it freely.

I never understood why people have to treat you differently when you waited to have sex. Was it that bad? I guess so.