Spring break at the beach house

Colton

For spring break, we went to Luana's parent beach house. Even though I was hesitant, I went for Lia. I knew my aunt and uncle would be there, which I wasn't happy about at the moment.

When we arrived, Luana and her parents greeted us.

"Welcome, everyone," her mom greeted us.

"It's very nice of you to have us," Lia said politely.

"Anytime, sweetie, let me show you to your rooms," she smiled as she led us to the bedrooms.

We all settled in and came downstairs. Luana's dad stopped me when I got to the bottom step, "Colton, I know you're not happy to be here, but we're glad you are," he said sincerely.

I just looked at him and walked by. I know people would think it's rude, but none of these people helped me when I needed it. They left me to that hellish nightmare; I refer to as my childhood.

I needed to get out of that house and get some air, so I went to the beach.

Amelia

I didn't know if coming here was such a great idea. Colton seemed tenser than before. Luana's parents seemed nice. I didn't understand any of it.

Then I overheard her parents talking.

"He hates us," her dad said.

"Hunny, you tried. It was a horrible situation," she reassured him.

"I should have tried harder. Cole should have tried harder. I can't believe he chose that bitch over his son," he said harshly.

"Talk to him," she advises. He nodded, then saw me standing there.

"Did you need something," her mom asked nervously.

"I know I'm probably stepping out of line here, but why didn't anyone help him," I asked them. My curiosity would get the best of me.

Luana's dad said nothing but left. Her mom let out a sigh. That was so not good.

Colton

I sat on the beach when someone sat down next to me. I didn't even need to look to see who it was.

"Colt, can we talk," Tom asked me.

"About what," I asked him.

"About what happened," he answered.

"What's discussing? I got left with a drunk and treated like shit, and no one came to help. Lia's family is the only one that helped. So, you want to talk. Fine, then tell me why the hell I got left with a drunk that fucking hated me," I asked as my face snapped towards him.

I was so angry.

"Because they told me to stay out of it by the family. They told me you weren't my child, and if Cole didn't fight for you, that was his problem. I didn't listen and tried to take you, but your mother called the cops on me. Accused me of kidnapping you," he explained.

"What?" I looked at him, confused.

"When I found out what my brother did, I took matters into my own hands. The cops got called, and they gave me a warning. Come near you again. And I would go to jail. I had a family," he said as he looked at me.

I looked at him, not knowing what to say.

"I know it makes little sense, but your mother could put on a good show when she wanted to. When Cole told us he got a girl pregnant, he wanted to do the right thing. He tried, but he couldn't deal with your mom. So your dad left. He tried to get custody, but your mom had a sleazy attorney that knew how to keep that from happening," he told me.

I sat there and listened to him.

"He also met a woman. She seemed nice until he married her. She got pregnant and threatened him with the new baby. Said if he kept pursuing you, he would lose all his kids. It was a mess," he sighed. "Gail and I talked. We agreed we would take you. My parents advise me to leave it alone, but I didn't care. I couldn't stand to see what was going on. I tried until the cops stopped me. Colt, I'm sorry. I should have tried harder," he finished.

I didn't know what to say. My whole life was a mess, and no one bothered to ask me how I felt. All I wanted was a family. People love me. Then I realized I did.

I looked at him, "I ended up with two great parents, and they weren't blood." With that, I stood up and walked away. No matter what happened on this trip, I knew that I could take that with me.

Amelia

After that day, things seemed to be less tense. Colton didn't cause problems, but he didn't let his guard down either. I couldn't blame him. Who wants to open up to people only disappointed again?

I knew one thing Tom and Gail were sweet and nothing like that witch of a stepmom he had.

Then one day, we got a surprise visitor in the form of Colton's dad. I had a feeling things were about to take a turn, and turn they did.

There was a lot of arguing in the living room while the rest of us hid in the kitchen. We all peeked our heads out to listen. Don't judge. You would do the same.

Then the one thing said that none of us were expecting.

"I left her," Cole told Colton.

"What?" He looked at him with furrowed brows.

"I left my wife. After your visit, I caught hell. She told me that she was sick and tired of you coming around. Said maybe I didn't love my other kids. We argued, and I found out they aren't even mine but some guy she had been sleeping with," he said as he took a step over to a couch and sat down.

Colton looked at him as he looked up at Colton.

"All I wanted to do was the right thing, and all I got was a hassle. Lost my kid for kids that didn't even mine all because of jealousy and lies," he said regretfully.

That sounded familiar, way too familiar.

I stepped out of the kitchen, and they both looked at me.

"Sound familiar," I asked Colton.

"Yeah," he sighed.

Colton and his dad had more in common than they realized. People had lied to both of them over the years. I had more in common with both of them because of jealousy and lies.

I didn't know what would happen with Colton and his dad, but I knew they both were angry. Colton was mad because he felt abandoned, and Cole was mad because he had to deal with the wrong people.

It was up to them what happens next. I didn't know if you can mend a broken relationship that occurred over the years. Hopefully, they can.