Always expect the unexpected

Amelia

After they released me from the hospital, I stayed home for a few more days. As much as I hated Aria, I still didn't understand why. Colton told me what she said when they suspended me, but that made no sense. Call me optimistic, but the one thing I knew about Aria was she hated anything gross.

The school was still digging through videos of that day, and they questioned kids. Everyone said the same thing; they saw nothing. Without proof, we couldn't do anything.

Except one person came forward, and it was the last person I expected.

Colton

I was at my locker when Lily walked up to me.

"If you think you will save Aria's ass, you're sadly mistaken," he said as he grabbed a book.

She took a deep breath. "Aria didn't do it."

He closed his locked door and turned to her. "You expect me to believe that?"

"It's the truth, Colton," she told him.

"Considering all the shit she did and the threat she made, I doubt it," I huffed.

"It's true, Colton. Look, don't believe me, but Aria wasn't the one that did that to Amelia," she said defensively.

"If she didn't know then who did," he asked her point-blank.

"It's someone closer than you think," she replied cryptically.

He looked at her and rolled his eyes. "I don't have time for games. Tell me who the hell did this or Aria goes down."

"April," she confessed.

"What? That makes little sense," I said to her. "All you're doing is protecting Aria's ass," I growled.

"Fine, don't believe me, but I'm telling you it was her," she exclaimed.

"And how would you know?" I looked at her.

"Because I saw her," she said. I looked at her as she furrowed her brows.

I took a step close to her. "If I find out you're lying, I will not only take care of Aria but you." With that, I turned and walked away.

The problem was I didn't trust Lily as far as I could throw her, but something was telling me she was telling the truth. I don't know why to call it a gut feeling.

I found Luana and April talking and laughing. I walked over to them. "Is it true," I asked, interrupting them.

"Is what true," Luana asked.

I looked at April. "Did you attack Lia?"

"What? No," April denied.

"That's not what I heard," I said to her.

"Then you heard wrong. Come on, Colton, we all know Aria is the guilty one. She has a better reason to do this than I would," she scoffed.

I looked at her then I saw her expression change. I turned to see police officers standing behind me at the end of the hallway. She turned and abruptly left, only stopped at the other end by police.

We watched them turn her around and cuff her. "April Lucas, you are under arrest for the assault of Amelia Langston." We watched them as they read April her rights as she looked at us. A few minutes later, they walked her past us. She didn't say a word.

"What the hell was that," Luana asked me, shocked.

"That dear cousin was the unexpected," I told her.

That still made little sense. Why would April pretend to be her friend but end up attacking her? I found out after school.

Luana and I filled the guys in on what happened at lunch.

"This doesn't surprise me," Reed shrugged.

We all gave him a look.

"Care to fill us in o'wise one," Jaime said to him.

"April's always had a thing for Colton since junior high," he said.

"April and I were friends," I shot back.

"You thought you were just friends. She didn't," he said. I looked at him. I think Reed got too many concussions from football.

"Remember her thirteenth birthday party, Colton?" Reed asked me.

"No, was I supposed to?" I asked with irritation.

"You should, considering we were playing seven minutes in heaven, and you both ended up in the closet. Irony at its best," he smirked as I gave him a look.

"So what? We all did it," Luana said.

"Yeah, but imagined getting your first kiss at that moment," he told us.

I sat there, thinking about it. It was a kiss that I had forgotten about it.

After school, I went to the police station. They almost didn't let me go back, but they finally relented. An officer took me to the back, and she was sitting in a jail cell. He gave me a few minutes with her.

She got up and walked over to the bars, placing her hands on them.

I only had one thing to say to her. "Why?"

"Why not?" She shrugged.

"Lia did nothing to you," I told her.

"She ruined my chances," was her answer.

"Chances of what?" I said incredulously.

"Do you have any idea what it's like to watch the guy you love, sleep with other girls then declare his undying love to someone?" Her tone oozed with contempt.

"Love?" I looked at her incredulously. "We had one kiss because of a stupid game, which I don't even remember."

Her face filled with hurt.

"April, it was just a kiss. It was nothing more than that. You can't base your feelings on a kiss," I said to her.

"You did with Amelia." She furrowed her brows.

"No, I didn't." She looked at me. "I fell for Lia because of who she is, not because of a kiss. It isn't the movies."

"But, but, but," April stammered.

"But nothing, you attacked someone and almost let someone else take the fall, knowing how they feel about each other. That's wrong," I explained.

She looked at me, not knowing what to say.

"April, you need serious help," I said as I turned and walked away.

As I walked out of the police station, something still nagged at me about all this. I visited someone else. It was time for the truth, once and for all.