The little boy cried

Colton

I stood there at the window, dressed in a black suit. As I stood there, Lia and Reed walked over to me. They stood on each side of me. Then I felt their hands slip into mine. Tears fell down my cheeks.

"It's time, guys," Luke said as we turned and walked out of the bedroom. We walked out of the house and got into the car. I sat there.

Luke pulled up in front of the funeral home, and I got out of the car. I stood there and looked at it. For ten years, I hated him. For ten years, I curse him for leaving me that day. I watched him with his "other" family. Then the day she killed him, all that anger disappeared. Grief replaced it.

We walked inside, and Luke talked to the funeral director. He led me to the room and gave me a few minutes alone.

I stepped inside as he closed the door behind me and looked at the coffin. I walked over and looked down to see my dad. He looked peaceful, like he was asleep.

I reached over and placed my hand on his arm, lowering my head as I cried. The little boy cried. He cried for being left behind, not once but twice. He cried for not having the father he always wanted.

The one that played catches with him. The one that took him fishing. The one that gave him advice about girls. The one that grounded him for doing wrong.

Instead, I would drive over to his house and watch from my car window. The man who was to do this with me, do it with other kids.

I stood there as I felt someone's hand on my back. I lifted my head and looked at Luke with glassy eyes. He nodded as he pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around him as he comforted me.

After a few minutes, they opened the doors up as people came in to pay their respects. People talked, but I couldn't focus on what everyone was saying.

They all offered their condolences and hugged me. I just stood there. I was at the funeral of a man that I had forgiven for abandoning me.

Then the minister had us take a seat as he spoke. I sat there with Lia on one side and Reed on the other side. Two people that understood better than anyone. Jaime and Luana sat with Luke and Natalie behind me.

When the minister finished, I surprised everyone by getting up. If anyone should eulogize my dad, it should be me.

"I didn't have the best relationship with my dad. I strained it. For years I was angry at him, but someone gave me wise words. They said I should forgive him. I forgave him when he was alive, but now I will forgive him," I said as I tried to hold my composure.

I turned to him as I placed my hand on him, "I forgive you, Dad, for not having the relationship I wanted to have with you. I forgive you for leaving that day. I forgive you for choosing someone else over me. I forgive you for missing all the important moments in my life and the ones to come. I forgive you."

Then I turned back to everyone.

"The day my dad died, he gave his life for mine, the last selfless act he could give to make up for what he had done. For that, he has earned my forgiveness," I finished.

I returned to my seat and sat back down. I sat there as people spoke about the man I never knew. As they spoke, the little boy cried.

Once people finish speaking, it was time. We all walked out to the cars and got inside. I sat in the backseat, looking out the window as we drove to the cemetery.

We followed the hearse as it led the funeral precessional. As it pulled through the gates, we followed behind. It pulled up, and we all stopped. We got out, and I walked over along with Jaime, Reed, Luke, Uncle Tom, and another Uncle.

We each grabbed a handle and picked up the coffin and lifted it onto the bier. Once it was on, we wheeled it to the sight. From there, the workers raised it with a machine as they lowered it into the ground.

I stood there as I watched my dad lowered into the ground. It was final. Once they lowered it down. I walked over and picked up some dirt in my palm as I sprinkled it onto the coffin.

I stood there as people turned to leave. They left me alone as I stood there. All I wanted was a father's love. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Luke standing there.

"Let's go home, Colton," he said as I nodded. He had his arm around me as we walked. We walked over, and Natalie hugged me.

"I know you wanted a father, but you have one," she smiled genuinely at me. I looked at Luke as he smiled at me. Then I hugged them both as they both hugged me back.

We got into the cars and drove back to the house. There was a small gathering for everyone.

I sat there as Natalie brought me a plate of food. I looked at her as I took it. Then she placed her hands on my head, kissing me on top of it. Just the affections they gave me had been more than I had received in years.

Lia, Reed, Jaime, and Luana sat with me. I looked at them and Luke and Natalie. I finally had a family, and it came from someone begs me for a date. I am so thankful she asked me for that date. Now I didn't feel so alone.

The greatest gift you can give someone is unconditional love. You can't buy it. It comes from within. It's the one true love you can ever have. It's all I ever wanted, and I finally got it.