Welcome to detention: take a seat

Amelia

Being the right person does not exempt you from detention. I ended up in detention for being late because of Colton. Yeah, I wouldn't ask.

Colton got into detention for getting mouthy with a teacher. Over what you may ask? He argued over a paper.

Reed got a detention for not turning in homework in hopes he would get kicked off any sports team.

Jaime received detention for flashing the gym teacher. That was an accident as another player ripped off his towel.

Luana received detention for playing a prank on a teacher. Super gluing a teacher's ass to a chair is a big no.

The five of us got the pleasure of having to spend detention together in the same room right after school, along with someone we least expected, Lily.

We all sat there as she walked in and took a seat. The five of us looked at each other.

"And why are you here, sweet cheeks?" Luana asked sarcastically.

"I'm just here. Okay?" Lily said with annoyance.

"Well, this isn't a social call. So spill," Jaime said to her.

"Okay, fine. I tried to seduce a teacher," she huffed. We all looked at her incredulously. Was she for real? "But he wouldn't jump at the chance. So lame," she groaned as we still looked at her incredulously.

As she went on and on about trying to seduce a teacher like it was some big deal, another teacher walked in and said, "Lily, stop fabricating lies. You're in here because you plugged up the ladies' room toilet with a tampon."

We stared at her as her face turned to horror. I knew it. First, a teacher? The teachers here are middle-aged people. Second, Lily is a horrible liar.

I just shook my head at that thought.

"Now that we're stuck here, for like, too long," Luana groaned. "What are we doing for spring break?"

"Well, considering none of us have money and can't afford to go anywhere, what do you suggest," Colton snapped.

"Don't be a twit. Did you forget my parents own a beach house," she asked him.

"Did you forget, I don't associate with that side of the family?" He asked her.

"Colton, don't be a dink. You may have issues with everyone, but they don't have issues with you," Luana said with a look.

"Fine," he huffed.

I still never understood what the whole deal with Colton and his family was. I get about his mom but his dad? I mean, if it was true, that's pretty shitty, but I think there was more to it then what happened.

I didn't want to push the subject with Colton, but I was curious to know more about it. I figure I would ask Luana about it later.

After detention, we were all leaving when I said, "You know what, Luana, and I need to go shopping."

"We do," she asked surprised as I elbowed her, "oh right. We do."

I smiled innocently. Everyone looked at me strangely.

"I'll see you back at the house," I said as I grabbed her arm, dragging her away as they looked at us in confusion.

Once we were out of earshot, she said, "Okay, what's up? Don't say there's some sale going on because I know when there's a sale."

"We aren't going shopping, but I want to talk to you about something," I said to her as we got into her car.

"Okay," she said to me as she started the car.

"I need you to tell me why Colton hates his dad so much," I said to her.

She looked at me and took a deep breath, then said, "Call your parents. This talk will take a while since we aren't going shopping. We will get food."

I nodded as I called home. I told my parents I was hanging out with Luana. They said it's great, but then after they ground me for getting detention. I figured.

We went to get something to eat, and as we ate, we talked.

"Look, I know you're curious about Colton, but he's a closed book with personal things," she said to me in between bites.

"I know, but I want to understand. Colton told me his dad had an affair and left his mom to start a new family. His stepmom was pretty nasty to him," I told her.

"That part is true about his stepmom. Marsha is a piece of work, but his dad didn't leave because he had an affair. He left because of Colton's mom's drinking. Cole had enough and left. He tried to take Colton, but Colton wanted to stay with his mom," she explained.

"Why?"

"Because as kids, we want to see our parents as being these great people, and they will get better. She never did," Luana explained.

"Was his mom always like that?" I asked curiously.

"From what my parents told me, yes. Colton's dad met his mom at a party. They hooked up and bam, she gets pregnant. He does the right thing and marries her. But her drinking was always an issue," she explained further.

I looked at her as I ate.

"Colton just got the shit end of the deal. He didn't ask to be born into that," she shrugged.

I sat there and thought about what Luana said. That made me realize how lucky I was to have my parents. Not everyone was so fortunate. I hated the fact that Colton grew up in that situation. My heart ached for him.

We finished our meal, and Luana took me home. When I walked in, my parents met me. I handed my phone over and went to my room without arguing. I know, shocking.

Before I went to my room, I stopped by to see Colton. Might as well face the music.

I knocked on his door. He looked up from his book as I walked over and sat down on the side of the bed.

"Did you find out what you wanted to know," he asked me.

I looked at him, "I'm sorry. I should have come to you, but I figured you didn't want to talk about it."

He sat up and set his book down. He looked at me. "Lia, I don't talk about it because it's a sucky situation. I don't want something reminding me about it."

"No, I understand, but Luana filled me in on some details," I added.

"Such as?" He asked.

"Your dad didn't leave because he had an affair. He left because of your mom's drinking. He wanted to take you with him, but you wanted to stay with your mom," I explained.

"Why would I do that?" He looked at me, confused.

"Because you have the one thing all kids have when growing up. Hope," I shrugged.

He looked at me.

"You can be mad. I deserve it for not coming to you, but I just wanted to get some perspective without pushing you on the matter," I explained as I stood up. I leaned over and kissed Colton on the cheek before going to my room.

I didn't want to go behind Colton's back or lie to him, which mostly I did, but sometimes we need someone else's perspective to see the full picture. I hope one day, Colton can forgive his dad. It's not so much for his dad's sake, but his.

Everyone needs peace.