An Understanding

Amelia

Colton and I sat down on my bed. I didn't know what he wanted to talk about with me.

He looked at me. "Amelia, when you first asked me out, I figured it was some game you were playing. Then, as I got to know you, I realized you weren't like most people. You had this innate goodness about you, and it scared the hell out of me. All I knew growing up was the horrible aspect of people. When you have horrible role models, it makes you have a lack of trust in people. Then one day, this girl begged me for a date. I didn't honestly think you would," he chuckled slightly.

I looked at him as I smiled.

"But I'm glad you did," he said, looking at me.

I looked at him as I furrowed my brows. He reached over and placed his hand on my cheek.

"The reason I've been so insecure is I'm afraid you'll leave me. I figure if I pushed you away, you would prove me right. The fact is, I didn't want you to push me away. I wanted you to stay, because." His voice trailed off.

"Because what Colton," I asked him as I placed my hand on top of his.

He looked down, took a deep breath as he lifted his head, and said, "Because I'm in love you."

My eyes widened, and jaw dropped open slightly as what he said took me by surprise.

"You don't have to say it back. I'm not expecting you to do that. I just wanted you to know how I feel," Colton said, pulling my hand away. He stood up and walked to the door.

"Colton," I said as I got up and walked over to him. He stood there as I placed a hand on his arm, turning him around. He looked at me. "You drive me crazy, but I feel things when I with you that I've never felt before. I'm glad I begged you for that date."

"Why's that?" He asked me.

"Because if I didn't, I wouldn't have fallen in love with you," I said, taking him by surprise. "I know, I know. It's crazy but," he cut me off by pulling me to him and crashing his lips into mine.

It was the best feeling in the world. I never wanted it to an end. I finally pulled back and looked at Colton, "We need to talk about your jealousy."

He sighed as I laughed and pulled him into another kiss. I think Colton will be just fine. He needs a little reassurance.

Jaime

I came home from school, and my dad met me. "How is school so far?"

"Decent, but I'm having a slight issue," I said, rubbing the back of my neck.

"What's the issue?" He asked with his hands on his hips.

"I met someone, but they are having an issue coming to terms with things," I sighed.

"Tell then to stop being a ratbag," he said emphatically.

"I would, but I like him," I said.

"Then what is his problem," Dad asked me.

"He's afraid."

"Of what?" He looked at me, concerned.

"Of what people will say. I told him it doesn't matter, but he refuses to believe me," I sighed.

"Then flick him. If he can't see what a good lad you are, then he doesn't deserve you." He placed his hands on my shoulders. "Jaime, you deserve happiness, not indecisiveness. Don't chase him anymore. If he wants you, he will try."

I nodded, and he hugged me. I knew Dad was right, but it still bothered me.

I had dinner, then went up to my room. Maybe Dad was right. I couldn't force Reed to admit his feelings, no matter how much I wanted him too.

The next day I went to school, finding everyone. I greeted them as I usually did except Reed. I decided not to pursue things. He isn't comfortable coming out, and I refuse to force the issue.

I made my way to class, taking a seat next to Amelia. She looked at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Because you seemed a little cold towards Reed," she said as I sat there.

"Reed deserves it," I told her, taking her by surprise.

"Jaime, that's not very nice," she told me.

"Amelia, sometimes people don't realize a good thing right in front of their nose," I said to her, then the teacher interrupted us. It was a good thing because I didn't want to hurt Amelia. It upset me. She didn't deserve my hurt.

At lunch, I talked to everyone except Reed. I laughed and joked with them, ignoring him. I mean, can you blame me? I show him I'm interested and even make a move only told he refuses to admit anything. I would not put myself out there like I did before.

After school, I went to practice. I just focused on the plays. Afterward, I took a shower. I came back to my locker to see Reed sitting there on the bench.

"Don't worry, I'll go change in a stall since me being gay makes you uncomfortable," I said, opening my locker.

"I never said you are gay makes me uncomfortable," he replied.

"No, just you are gay, makes you uncomfortable," I said, annoyed.

"Jaime," Reed said.

"Reed, I get it. You don't want anyone to know which is fine, but I'm openly gay." I looked at him as I grabbed my clothes.

"Wait, people know?"

"What do you think?" I asked him, getting more annoyed.

"And they didn't call you names?"

"No, because they don't care. Everyone's too wrapped up in themselves to give a shit if the new guy is an open homosexual. But I told you that, and you still didn't believe me. Now excuse me," I said as I grabbed my stuff and went into a different part of the locker room.

I didn't want to deal with someone's insecurities just because they couldn't get over their own hang up. Plus, Reed has no plans to come out at all from the sound of it.

Maybe Dad was right, and I should tell him to rack off. It was better than falling for someone and ending up with a broken heart. I've been there, done that, never again.