A complication

Amelia

I took the new guy to the office and got roped into showing him around, great. As much as I was mad at Colton, the new guy didn't deserve my anger. I put on a happy face and showed him around the school.

At lunch, he sat with me as we talked. He told me his father got transferred because of a job. He was relatively new to the states.

I told him about myself and that Colton was staying with me but didn't elaborate.

"So, is this Colton your boyfriend or something," he asked me.

"It's complicated," I sighed.

"Ever think it's not what you think it is," he asked me.

"I don't know. It's like I never know what to think with Colton," I said to him.

As we sat there, Luana and April came over and took a seat.

"Well, hello hot stuff," Luana said to Jaime.

"G' day mate," he greeted them.

"Ooh, accent, me likey," Luana growled.

I looked at her like she was crazy.

"So, are you here under pretenses," April asked him.

"Excuse me," he asked a bit confused.

"What my cohort is asking is, did someone send you to deflower our young friend," Luana asked, winking at him.

"I bet they did," April agreed. They looked at each other and nodded.

"Uh, I don't know what you mean," he said, confused.

"Oh, don't play dumb. We all know this all one big elaborate scheme," Luana waved her hand around in the air.

Just then, Reed walked over and took a seat next to me. "Hello, sweet cheeks. Who's your boyfriend," he asked me.

I did a double-take. Jaime looked at me. "Are all Americans this crazy?"

"Only a select few," I said through gritted teeth.

"We're not crazy. We love Amelia so much," Reed said, taking his hand and smooshing my face as he placed his head next to mine. "Isn't she just the cutest thing you ever saw?" He squealed.

I smacked his hand away and looked at him incredulously.

"Touchy, touchy. Did Mother Nature revisit you?" He asked me, causing me to place my head in my hands. Why were they doing this to me?

Then someone made an announcement. Now what?

Colton

I stood there as Tim got on the intercom, "Attention all students. We have an extraordinary announcement. There is some bet going on regarding Amelia Langston."

Amelia's head shot up.

"Without further ado, I give you proof," Tim announced as he played the audio implicating several students, including Aria and Lily. I stood there as he played everything. Thank you, Luana and April, for bugging the girl's locker room.

Amelia

I sat there horrified as I listened to Aria, Lily, and other girls talk about the bet, along with the few others. It was a bet to see when I would lose my virginity.

Next was the audio of Colton and Aria how she set him up so they could keep with the bet. I sat there as I furrowed my brows as Reed, Luana, and April looked at each other and me.

I felt utterly humiliated. I looked around to see everyone staring at me, and all I wanted to do was cry. Jaime sat there quietly, not knowing what to say.

"Excuse me," I whispered as I got up and left the cafeteria.

Jaime looked at them. "I might be wrong, but is this normal American culture?"

"No," Luana answered.

"Good, because that's cruel," he said, standing up and leaving.

I walked down the hallway as tears spilled. I wiped my eyes furiously, trying to get them to stop as I cried. Tears obscured my vision that I didn't realize who I ran into in the hallway.

"Amelia," I heard someone say.

I looked up to see Colton. My bottom lip quivered as he pulled me to him, and I cried. He said nothing but held me.

"Why? Why would they do this?" I asked as I sobbed.

"Because they're assholes. I'm sorry. I needed proof and for you to listen," Colton confessed.

I looked at him as tears fell down my cheeks. "Why would you do that, Colton? Why would you humiliate me like that? Why not come to me?"

"Because you wouldn't have listened, Amelia. I didn't do this to humiliate you. I'm sorry it happened, but people need to know what people are like and that someone as good as you would get hurt unnecessarily," he said firmly.

I looked at him as I cried. He looked at me with furrowed brows.

"Amelia," I heard someone say as I turned to see Reed, Luana, April, and Jaime standing there. I just wanted to crawl in a hole.

I turned back to Colton, and tears fell down my cheeks as I sobbed harder. He pulled me to him as I buried my face into his chest. Then I felt hands on my back.

Today just proved how cruel people could be. It also confirmed that the truth was harsh and cold. People say they want the truth, but when it comes down to it, do they want it?

Would it be easier to live a lie and be happy? Or would it be better to have the truth and hurt? I didn't know.

I sat there on a bench at the park as Colton sat down next to me and handed me a cup of coffee.

"Thanks," I said, taking it from him.

I sat there, not knowing how I felt.

Reed took a seat on the other side of me. "You know, it's not the end of the world."

I sat there, silent.

"We all have something we aren't happy about in our lives. Lies that we tell ourselves. Then one day, we believe it," he said.

"Dare I ask what the hell you are talking about," Colton huffed.

"My dad beats me," Reed said as Colton and I looked at him, stunned.

"No one knows, and I've been lying about it," he said as we sat there shocked. We turned and looked straight ahead in silence.