Class project

Amelia

Today in class, the teacher assigned a project and paired us together. I got paired with Reed, shit. That was the last thing I needed.

We all sat next to our partners.

"I guess we're partners," he smiled at me.

"I guess so," I sighed.

"You don't seem too happy about it," he said with a look.

"Considering there is some weird animosity between you and Colton and Colton has made it known that he doesn't like you, what do you think?" My tone was curt. I didn't want to sound like a bitch, but things weren't precisely happy-go-lucky for me at the moment.

"There's more to it, but I will not get into it with you," he said a matter of fact.

"Even better," I mumbled.

"Look, there are some things you don't know, and it doesn't involve you, so stay out of it," he snapped.

"When you're part of a bet, it concerns you. Or is this your way of winning the bet by being nice," I asked in a low tone.

He looked at me. "Okay, fine. I'll tell you, but not here and not around everyone. Meet me at the coffee shop after school, and I will tell you whatever you want to know. Now can we get to work because I need to get A on this project."

I looked at him as my brows furrowed. Reed was definitely up to something. The question is, what exactly is it? I guess I would find out.

After school, I dodged Colton. Thank God. I can deal with him later. I made my way to the coffee shop to find Reed already there, sitting at a table by the window.

I walked over and took a seat.

"You came?" He asked a bit surprised.

"Well, you told me you would tell me. Now you can tell me," I said, sitting across from Reed.

He looked at me as he picked up his coffee and took a sip. A waitress came over and took my order, returning with a tea a few minutes later.

"You don't like coffee?" Reed asked me.

"Not really," I said, sipping my tea. "So?"

"Colton and I were friends before high school. We were best friends. But when we got to high school, everything changed. I became a jock, and he became a loner and bad boy sort of speak," he explained.

"Okay, that happens. Nothing new there," I shrugged.

"It is when your force to play football when you don't even like football," he said emphatically.

"What?" His confession surprised me.

"My dad forced me to join the team and forced me to drop Colton as a friend. Said he was undesirable. Since then, things haven't exactly been stellar between us," he said, not elaborating more. I had a feeling there were things Reed wasn't telling me.

We switched from that topic to the class project, discussing what we would do. We also set up a time to work outside of school. It seemed like Reed was begging me to work on it at his house. Something was up.

After a while, I headed home, but not before running into Colton, fantastic.

"Is this why you're avoiding me? To have a little rendezvous with Reed," he accused me.

"First, I met him here to talk about a class project." I left out the other part on purpose. "Second, you don't own me. We aren't a couple, and I can talk to whoever I want," I told him.

"Want to bet?" He asked me.

I looked at him as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Have it your way," he said before grabbing me and tossing me over his shoulder.

He walked, and I yelled, "Colton! Put me down, you behemoth!"

"Okay. Have it your way." He promptly tossed me into his car, then got on the other side. As I moved to sit upright, he drove away. What is wrong with him? Like seriously, who does that?

I looked at him, "Where are you kidnapping me to?"

"I'm not kidnapping you," he groaned.

"You threw me into a car against my will. I call it kidnapping." I glared at him.

"Nope, I call it is claiming what belongs to me," he said, looking ahead at the road.

"But I'm not yours," I hissed.

He ignored me until he pulled in an empty parking lot. He got out and went to my side, open the door, and said, "Get out."

"That was rude," I said as I opened the door and got out.

As soon as I closed the door, he grabbed my face, crashing his lips into mine. I slapped him to let go of me, but he held me firmly until I gave in and kissed him back.

At that moment, I couldn't deny what I had been doing all along. Even though I kissed Reed, there was something about Colton that set me on fire.

He finally released me, and I looked at him. He lowered his hands and slid them into mine as he looked at me.

"Amelia, there's something about you that draws me to you. I don't want to lose a chance to find out what it is," he said as he continued to look into my light brown eyes with his dark chocolate eyes.

"Then tell me what happened between you and Reed. Colton, if you want a chance with me, be honest with me," I said to him.

"You want the truth. Fine. Reed and I were best friends, then one day we weren't. There was no explanation, no reason. Just like that," he snapped his fingers. "He dropped me while he made new friends."

"Did you ever ask him?" I questioned him.

"Why bother? When you're friends, you don't stop talking to each other or treat them like they are nothing. That's what he did. Plus, I heard things he said behind my back. Now, why would I want to talk to someone that can't even come to me and talk to me," he snapped.

I knew this was a sore subject between them, and after getting both sides, it seems like there is more than either both realize. I also had a feeling there was more to each of them than either was telling me.

"Okay. I won't press you any more about it, but you have to give me some leeway. I like you, Colton, but I also have a project I have to work on with Reed, and I refuse to let whatever issue you two have come in the way of doing well on it. Just like you two, I also have a future to consider," I reasoned.

He sighed. "Okay, fine, but you belong to me," he said as he pulled me to him.

"Excuse me? I belong to no one, you stupid caveman," I told him emphatically.

"You will not make this easy, are you?" Colton asked me.

I looked at him; then, a smile curled upon my lips.

"If you want me to be yours, then beg," I said a matter of fact.

"What?" He gave me a look.

I pushed him away and pointed at the ground, "Beg."

"If you will make me beg for a date, then you will beg on your knees if you want me as your girl," I smirked.

He looked at me as I repeated myself, "Beg."