Issues

Colton

I got home and walked in, only to have my mom meet me in a drunken stupor again.

"Where were you?" She slurred her words.

"Out," I said firmly.

"Don't give me that attitude! I'm your mother! You respect me, you little asshole," she spat as she waved her hand around while holding a bottle of whiskey. The whiskey mostly drank already.

"Yes, Mother," I said through gritted teeth.

"Now clean up this place. It's a mess!" She stumbled out of the room as I stood there. Every night it was the same. Mom drunk and spewing insults at me. Dad was of no help. He barely answered for me as it was. He was too busy with his new family. I hated both of them.

I took off my jacket and rolled up my sleeves as I got to work cleaning up the house. It took most of the night, but I got it done. I went upstairs and checked on her. She passed out again-nothing new there.

The minute I graduate, I was out of here. I got left with a drunk for a mother and abandoned by a father who prefers to imagine over being a father. Life was grand.

After making sure I had clean clothes and dealing with Mom's bullshit, I worked on homework most of Sunday. My mind drifted back to the date with Amelia.

I had more fun with her than I had in a long time, even if she was condescending. When you got past the initial attitude, she was sweet, naïve, but sweet. How did she end up with her so-called friends is beyond me?

I think Monday morning, I would take matters into my own hands. Give them something to talk about, and I knew what I would do.

Monday morning arrived, and I quickly got the hell out of my house before Mom came to from her drunken stupor. I didn't need to deal with her shit right before school. Plus, I had a mission.

I got into my car and drove to school. Pulling into the parking lot, I got out of the car and strolled into school. People stared, but I ignored them. They always stare. What else is new?

I saw Amelia at her locker, along with her two hyenas for friends. Lily and Aria are always laughing about something stupid. They thought they were funny, but they weren't. They were annoying.

I got close enough to hear their conversation. People consider it's eavesdropping; I find it to be gathering information.

"So, Amelia, how was your date with Colton," Lily asked.

"Fine," she said.

"Let me guess, it didn't go too well," Aria said in a snarky tone.

"Aww, did you finally strikeout and realize you're not as wanted as you think you are," Lily as in a baby voice.

Some friends they are.

"What has gotten into you two? Why are you being mean suddenly?" She asked them.

"Maybe for the fact, you're not all that but just a prude," Aria smirked.

"I never said I was," she said defensively.

"Nope, you're just a whiner," Lily shot back.

"It's funny, we all had bets about when you're cherry would get popped but looks like it will never get popped. I mean, if you couldn't get Colton to pop it, then you are pathetic," Aria snickered.

And there it is. One girl waits, and everyone figures it's their business. Lily and Aria were prime examples. They wanted to watch Amelia fall from a pedestal; she never wanted to be on that pedestal.

Maybe it's time they got knocked off theirs.

I walked over, looked at them, "Excuse us," then grabbed Amelia's hand, leading her away.

"Colton," Amelia said.

"Say nothing. Let me do this," I said as I led Amelia a little ways away and spun her around. Before she said anything, I crashed my lips into hers in front of the whole damn school.

I don't know why I felt the need to do it, but I had to. I couldn't stand listening to the way they were making her think just because she waited. Is it a bad thing to wait to have sex?

We finally broke from our kiss as she stared at me.

"Oh my god," Aria exclaimed.

"Aw, is someone butthurt that they couldn't land the bad boy," a girl asked them.

They turned around.

"Who are you?" Lily asked the girl.

"Who we are is none of your concern. What should concern you is what we will do to you if you don't take off," another girl said to them as their eyes widened, and they ran off?

"And our work here is over," the other girl said as they both smirked.

They walked towards us.

"Boy, you move fast," Luana said to me.

"What can I say? I hate people," I smirked as she rolled her eyes at me. Amelia looked lost.

"Excuse my cousin. He's a twit and forgets his manners," Luana said. "I'm Luana Hardwick, and this is my best friend, April Lucas."

She held out her hand, and Amelia took it, "Amelia."

"What do I owe the pleasure of you two gracing me with your presence?" I asked her.

"Well, my dad got a call from your dad and said you refuse to see him. So, here I am, to talk sense to you," she countered.

"My dad is a twit who doesn't give a shit about me, and I don't need a babysitter," I retorted.

"Colton, you need to get rid of the chip on your shoulder and like I care. Your dad should think about that before he shacked up with that sleazebag," Luana told me.

"Fine," I replied.

"So, are you two an item now," April asked.

"Nope, I was just saving her from two hyenas," I blurted.

"Then you will need to do more than save her from them," April said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because Reed Harrison has his sights set on her," she told me.

She looked at them. "Whose Reed Harrison?"

"Reed Harrison is a jock and thinks his shit don't stink," I grumbled.

"He's also Colton's biggest rival. Neither of them can stand each other, including fighting over women," Luana explained to her.

"Reed thinks he's king shit, who can't treat women decently. I think he needs a smack," I growled. It was true. I couldn't stand Reed Harrison. Ever since freshman year, he's been an asshole. We used to be friends, but the minute he made the football team, everything changed.

It would be a cold day in hell before he got his hooks into Amelia, even if I had to claim her myself.