Begging on your knees

Amelia

I watched as Colton got down on his knees and begged.

"Amelia, please be mine. I beg of you. I will do whatever you want if you will be mine," he begged me. I couldn't believe it that I got Colton Hardwick to ask me. It felt weird and stupid to me.

"Colton, get up," I said to him as I sighed.

"So, is that a yes?" He asked with a smirk.

"It's a yes," I rolled my eyes as he stood up. Then he pulled me into a kiss.

We pulled back, and I looked at him, "I didn't honestly think you would do it."

"Stranger things have happened," he shrugged as he walked over and leaned with his back against the car.

"Why haven't you ever done relationships before?" I asked curiously.

"I don't exactly have the best home life, and bringing a girl home isn't exactly a top priority," he told me.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked him.

"Not really, but I know you want to know, so I'll tell you. Mom's a drunk, Dad left and got a new family. That's it," he said a matter of fact.

"I'm sorry," I said with empathy.

"It is what it is. As soon as I graduate, I'm leaving," Colton said. I couldn't blame him. Who wants to be subject to that home life?

"Very few people know. You are one of them, Luana, April, and Reed being the others."

"So, if Reed knows, is that why you're so determined to stop him with me," I asked him.

"No, Reed dropped me when we got to high school. He became a football player, and I became alone. He was my only friend, and he just dropped me like I was nothing. That's when I decided not to make friends or get close to anyone. I mean, my dad walked away, Reed walked away, and eventually, everyone walks away," he said emotionlessly.

That bothered me. All Colton has known growing up is people leaving while stuck in a bad situation. I couldn't imagine that, but then again, not everyone had the picture-perfect family.

"Well, I'm not going anywhere," I said, giving him a soft smile.

"Good to know. Because I'm not letting you go anywhere. You're mine," Colton said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me to him. Then he kissed me, leaving me breathless.

It was weird, I would never imagine feeling this way about someone, especially like Colton, but there was something about him. I guess I saw a broken person who just wanted reassurance and loves the way he never received.

After we broke our kiss, we got back into the car. He wanted to stop by his house to grab something. When we pulled up, he told me to stay in the car. So I did.

After a while, I found out what was taking him so long. I got out of the car and walked up to the house.

"Colton?" I heard nothing. Then I smelled it. Oh god, it was a smell that would turn your stomach.

I opened the door and stepped inside to see all the empty liquor bottles and went upstairs, only to have the horrid smell permeate my nose.

"Colton?" I walked down the hallway to an open doorway, and that's when I saw him. Colton stood there, staring at a woman lying on a bed. Liquor bottles laid about, and the smell was horrible.

I touched his shoulder, but he didn't turn to me. All he said was, "My mom's dead."

Colton sat on the back porch as I sat next to him, while the police, rescue, and my parents were dealing with everything.

"Thanks for calling your parents," he whispered.

"I didn't know who else to call, and I know they would know who to call," I told him.

"It was only a matter of time before this happened. All my mom did was drink. There was never a time I didn't see her drunk or passed out. When she looked at me, all she saw was my father, who she hated." It filled his tone of anger.

"Why did your father leave?" I asked him.

"I didn't get the full story. But something to do with my mother's drinking then him having an affair which is now my stepmother. Isn't that fantastic?" He said with sarcasm.

A few minutes later, my parents came out, and we stood up.

"The police are just about wrapping up. The paramedics already took your mother. They want to know if you have a family you can stay with?" Dad asked him.

"I have a father, but I hadn't talked to him since he left when I was about seven," Colton told them.

"If there is no other family, you may not have a choice but to go to foster care until you're the legal age," Mom explained.

I furrowed my brows as Colton was losing hope. He had been through so much, and his home life was horrible. Now foster care? It wasn't right. He didn't deserve any of it. That's when I came up with an idea.

"How about if Colton stays with us until he graduates?" I suggested. I looked at my parents, who looked at each other. I stepped up to them. "You always taught me when someone needs help; you help them. That sometimes we are in a situation we didn't choose. Colton didn't choose this; they subjected him to it."

They looked at me, then Dad said to Mom, "We have a brilliant daughter."

"No, we have a compassionate one," she smiled.

Colton stood there with his hands shoved in his front pockets, not knowing what to think.

My dad walked over to him, "I know it might not be an ideal situation, but sometimes we need a little compassion and understanding."

"I don't want to put anyone out," he said politely.

"Colton, it's not about putting anyone out. It's about helping someone when they need it. Amelia has a big heart and likes to help people. It's how we raised her to be and could not be more proud." Then he leaned in and whispered, "Plus, I think my daughter likes you."

He looked at Dad as he smiled.

"Go pack some things, and you can stay with us for the time being," he told him as Colton nodded, walking by them. He turned to me. "Okay, spill."

"Spill what?" I asked innocently.

"Is there something going on between you two?" He asked me.

"Maybe," I said shyly.

"Amelia, he seems like a nice boy. I think he got dealt a few bad hands," he smiled genuinely at me.

"I think so too," I agreed.

I didn't know what would happen between Colton and me, but this changes everything.