A new arrangement

Amelia

We arrived home, and I showed Colton the room he would stay in at the house. I know this wasn't ideal for him, but it was better than being in foster care with strangers.

I turned to leave when he said, "Stay." I looked at him. "Please."

I nodded, walking over and taking a seat on the bed. Colton sat down and looked around.

"Sorry, it's not great," I said to him.

He looked at me a bit confused, "This," he pointed at the room, "is a lot better than where I was. It's clean, there's not beer cans and liquor bottles lying around, and I don't have insults thrown at me every two-seconds. It's a paradise for me."

I looked at him. I guess when you come from a bad environment, anything is better than nothing. I think Colton was just grateful to be somewhere then where he had been.

He slid his hand into mine and intertwined our fingers. "Thank you."

I looked at him.

"So that you know, this changes nothing between us. You're still mine," Colton smirked. I felt my cheeks heated.

Now that Colton was staying with us, I had a feeling thing were about to get interesting with us, very interesting.

Later on, once Colton settled in, we all sat down for dinner. I looked at him as he sat there, not saying a word.

"Is everything okay?" Mom asked, concerned.

We looked at him as he looked at us.

"It's just, I don't remember the last time I sat down at dinner with people," he spoke quietly. I looked at him. That's when I realized how much we all take for granted. It included simple things like a family dinner.

I was so used to it that I hadn't given it much thought. Colton didn't have it, and I don't think he ever did. That thought bothered me.

Colton

It all seemed like a dream to me. I never had this kind of thing at home. I usually ate alone, in my room with headphones on, to drown out the yelling and insults from my mother.

There was never once that I saw that woman sober. Even as a kid, I never saw her dry. At one point, Dad was a dad to me. Then it stopped. He left. He left to be with his new family, and it stuck me alone.

What seven-year-old deserves that? I did. Maybe my room wasn't clean enough. Perhaps I didn't listen enough. I wasn't good enough. They didn't love me enough.

I ate, saying nothing as I listened to them talk. It was nice. There's no yelling, no screaming, no insults, no drunkenness. It was a nice family meal.

Family. What is a family? Because as far as I know, they don't exist. That's what I told myself. When girls would show an interest, I gave them every reason not to. They damaged me. I felt unlovable. Why would anyone want me or even love me?

Then came Amelia, who begged for a date. Why? Why was it me of all people? Why did she ask? Just because I told her to beg me? I had so many thoughts swirling through my mind.

After dinner, I helped clean up even though her mom told me it wasn't necessary. Lady, it's essential. Trust me, it is.

After cleaning up, I stayed out of their way. I didn't want to anger them so that they would kick me out. I figure if I kept to myself, kept my area cleaned, they would let me stay. I resorted to survival mode. It's what I did.

Later on, I was working on homework when I heard a knock on the door. I looked up and saw Amelia. She walked in and took a seat next to me.

"You know you don't have to stay in your room," she smiled.

"I know, but I didn't want to get in the way," I said to her.

"What do you mean?" She asked with furrowed brows.

"It's easier than impeding people. When you do, they find reasons to kick you out or yell at you," I told her blankly.

"Colton, did this happen to you a lot?" She asked me.

"Once, when my dad came and got me. The woman who is now my stepmother made it known in no uncertain terms that I'm not welcome. Said I was too messy. I tried Amelia. I tried to be good," I whispered.

She looked at me as I looked at her with furrowed brows.

"What did I do wrong?" It was at that moment I broke. I had tried to hide everything, but I couldn't anymore.

Amelia

I watched as Colton broke down in front of me. It broke my heart to hear him tell me all that. My guess is he didn't have anyone to talk to about his situation. I never realized under that tough exterior was a guy who was all alone. All he wanted was someone to love him or at least showed they cared.

I did the only thing I could think of, and that was to hug him. He needed that hug. He wrapped his arms around me as I comforted him while he buried his face into my neck.

Now I understood everything. Sometimes the loneliest people are the kindest people. The respectful ones are the most broken. It was pretty sad when you think about it.

All we ever want in life is someone to care about us with no ulterior motives. It is the basic concept of human decency.

After he stopped crying for a while, he lifted his head and looked at me. "Please don't leave me." It came out barely a whispered, but I understood what he meant.

"I promise," I said to him as he pulled me to him and hugged me. Do not make promises if you don't intend to keep them. That was a promise I intended to continue until someone threw a monkey wrench into my plans.

Yep, things were about to get interesting.