Rivals

Amelia

I had to work on the project with Reed, which didn't sit well with Colton. I get there's an issue between them, but I also have to keep my grades up. That caused an argument between us, which Aria was more than happy to take advantage of with us.

At lunch, I went to find Colton and boy I saw him. I found him locking lips with Aria, then he saw me and pulled away from her. She smirked.

"Amelia," he said.

I had no words for him. I just turned and walked away.

"Amelia, wait," he yelled.

I just threw my hand up. I didn't want to hear excuses.

He turned and looked at Aria, who had the cat who ate the canary look.

"You did that on purpose," he accused her.

"Who cares if I did? Now she will run straight into Reed's arm, they'll have sex, and I will win the bet," she smirked.

"What?" He asked her.

"Oh, did you honestly think Reed was behind all this? Damn, you are dumb." Aria laughed.

He looked at her as he furrowed his brows.

"By the end of the week, Reed will have deflowered her, and I will have won. Ta, ta," Aria said as she waved as she walked away, laughing, leaving Colton alone in the hallway.

After school, I found Reed and left with him to go to his house. I was kind of glad. I didn't have to see Colton since he's staying in the same house as me.

On the car ride over, I said nothing. Reed tried to have a conversation, but I wasn't in the mood.

He pulled up to his house, and we got out of the car only for his father to meet us walking into the house.

"Reed? Why didn't you tell me we had company?" His tone was icy.

"This is Amelia. She's here to work on a school project with me," Reed responded in a matter-of-fact tone. Something was off with these two.

His father looked at us as we turned and walked away. Something wasn't right.

As soon as we went to his room, he closed his door. I watched him get right to work on the project.

"Is there a problem with me being here," I asked him.

"No, can we just get to work?" He was abrupt with me - not his usual friendly self. I took a seat and started working.

After two hours, he took me home and dropped me off. I tried to talk to him, but he cut me off being curt with me every single time.

As soon as I closed the car door, he drove off. I didn't understand any of this - first Colton, now Reed. I just sighed.

I went into the house and up to my room only to get met by Colton.

"Amelia," Colton said.

"Look, I'm tired and hungry," I said.

"It's not what it looks like," he tried to explain.

I snapped my head to face him, "So, you not kissing my ex-friend isn't what it looks like to me? I get you don't like Reed, but nothing is going on. I can't say the same to you. Don't worry; I will not have my parents kick you out. Unlike most people, I'm not that heartless." With that, I went into my room.

Colton

I stood there, watching her door close. I hated this. I wanted to explain to her that Aria approached me and kissed me. I tried to tell her; I'm not that guy. I needed to say to her I was falling for her, but she wasn't talking to me.

At dinner, I said nothing, and neither did Amelia. Her parents noticed but said nothing. It was a mess. I fucking hated Aria for this. She was the type that waited for the right moment to swoop in and cause problems.

After dinner, I stayed in my room, working on homework. The only problem was that all I could think about was Amelia. I wish she would listen to me. That's when an idea hit me.

I made a call to someone I knew I could get to help me.

I stood next to my car as another car pulled up. Then Luana and April got out.

"Is there a reason you felt the need to drag me out in Timbuktu at night," Luana asked me.

"I need your help," I answered. Then I explained what happened at school. They weren't happy.

"Colton, you are by far the dumbest man I know," Luana told me, earning a look from me.

"That isn't helping," I told her.

"No, shit. It's not supposed to help you," Luana said, rolling her eyes.

"How about less sarcasm and more help?" I questioned her.

"Well, we know Aria is part of the bet, and it involves others. We also know Reed has nothing to do with this, which surprises me, considering all the girls who said he had nailed them," she said to us.

"Wait, what are you talking about," I asked her.

We both looked at her.

"Girls at school claim Reed has slept with them, including your ex. You know the one you wouldn't admit to dating," she answered with a look.

"I didn't need gossip," I added.

"And that worked out so well now for you, didn't it," she asked sarcastically. I looked at her.

"Which begs the question, why did you not want people to know and deal with the other gossip of the whole 'I don't do relationships?'" Luana said to me.

"Oh sure, and bring them home to Mommy dearest, who can't seem to let go of the bottle long enough?"

"Touchy, touchy," Luana replied.

"Yeah, but you would have a relationship with Amelia. How would you explain the raging alcoholic you had at home?" April asked.

"Amelia knows." That surprised them. "She was with me when I found her dead."

"Damn. I'm sorry for your loss," Luana said to me.

"Yeah, not a loss," I replied. I know people would think that was cold, but when you live in hell for ten years, you feel relief. As much as I wanted to cry about losing my mom, I couldn't.

"Okay, so now you need our help to get Amelia back," Luana said.

"Pretty much," I answered.

She thought about it.

"Then expose them," she said.

"What?" I asked.

"Expose them all. Get proof and expose the people for what they're doing. If you can get Amelia to see the truth, then you have a better chance of winning her back," she said, crossing her arms.

I looked at them. It would take some time, which limited us on. Plus, there was the whole matter of Reed to deal with later. I'll deal with that then. I needed proof and to show Amelia the truth.