Simple advice

Colton

I arrived at Amelia's house and went inside to find Luke there. He was sitting on the couch, looking through some papers. He looked up. "How was school?"

"Fine." I still wasn't used to someone asking me about school. No one ever asked about my day or school. It was surreal to know that someone cares.

"Colton, you don't have to keep to yourself. We will not hurt you," he said to me.

"I know. I'm just not used to this," I said, gesturing around me.

"I can imagine. It seems like you haven't had it easy," Luke said.

"That's an understatement," I scoffed.

"Look, we're not the enemy, but if you keep walking around with this chip on your shoulder, you will push away many people that care about you. Colton, life sucks. We get dealt a terrible hand, but it's what we do because of it. That makes all the difference," he explained.

Luke wasn't trying to be difficult, but he was trying to do his best considering the circumstance I came from before I met them. I decided maybe it was time to open up. God, I hope I don't regret this.

"Can I talk to you?" I asked him.

"Yes," he replied as I took a seat.

I sat down and told him things I had said no one. I told him something about my life and people. He sat there and listened. It felt like someone had lifted a weight off my shoulders.

"It seems to me you haven't had it easy and no one to talk to about it. Your mom wasn't a mother, and your father abandoned you. The two people that are to love you unconditionally didn't."

I listened to him.

"The thing is, even if you don't get it from them, you can get it from others," he finished.

"That's the issue I have been having with Amelia. I know she has a good heart. I'm just afraid if she sees how truly damaged I am, she will leave too. Because they all leave," I told him. It was the truth. I know Amelia wouldn't do anything terrible, but I had this innate fear she would leave.

"Maybe you should stop letting an unknown fear rule you and give my daughter a chance. Let her prove to you, you're wrong," he told me.

"But what if I'm not?"

"But what if you are? Think about it, Colton. You fall back on what you know, without realizing that there's someone in front of you, that is nothing like that. Trust me; we raised her," he smiled genuinely.

I looked at him. Maybe it was time to put a little trust in Amelia.

"Okay," I said as I got up, walking to my room.

I passed by Reed's room and heard him talking to himself. What the hell was he mumbling about this time?

I pushed the door opened, and he stopped to look at me.

"Dare I ask why you're pacing and having some weird-ass conversation with yourself?" I questioned him.

"It's nothing," he waved me off.

I leaned against the doorframe and crossed my arms. "It doesn't seem like nothing. So here's the deal, you tell me what's going on, or I'm not leaving," I smirked. Reed gave me a look. "Take it or leave it."

Reed

Great. Colton wasn't one of those guys that leaves stuff alone.

"I'm waiting. You can tell me, or I can stand here all night," he smirked.

"Fine." I pulled him into the room and shut the door. I took a deep breath and said, "Jaime kissed me." I looked at him.

He said nothing but just looked at me. I didn't know whether it surprises or disgusted Colton.

Finally, he said, "Yeah, so?"

"Didn't you hear what I said? Jaime kissed me," I repeated myself.

"Yeah, I heard you the first time. I'm not deaf," Colton said with a look.

"So, I can't have people thinking I'm gay," I told him.

"Why because some dude kissed you?" Colton asked me.

"Well, yeah," I said incredulously.

"Did you like it," he asked curiously.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Because if you liked it, then you like Jaime. If you didn't, then obviously, he's not the one for you," he told me.

"That's not the point that I'm saying. What would everyone at school say? I'm the captain of the football team," I said dramatically.

"Who cares what everyone thinks?" He gave me a look.

"People can make your life a living hell," I told him.

"Only if you let it. You worry too much about what people think."

"Is that the same with you and Amelia?" I asked him.

"First, I don't care what people think. Second, my issue differs completely from yours. Reed, it's 2018. If it still hangs people up over someone is gay, that's their problem, not yours," he explained to me.

"Tell me again why we stop being friends?" I asked him.

"Because you listened to your douche of a father and got punished anyway, making you a certifiable twit," he smirked.

"Yeah, you need not remind me," I sighed.

"Reed, you need to stop worrying about what people think and be happy. Don't you think it's time you deserve that?" He asked me.

"Don't you think it's time the same happened with you and Amelia," I asked him back.

"Touché," Colton replied.

"I'll think about it," I said as I ran my hand through my hair.

Colton

I left Reed's room and thought about it. So, Jaime is gay, and Reed won't admit it. I did not see that coming. I also didn't have to worry about something happening between Amelia and them.

That reminds me, I think it's time to follow some advice.

I needed to talk to Amelia, so I knocked on her door and waited. My palms were sweating as I expected. I could hear her footsteps approaching the door, and then the knob turned. As she opened it, I did the one thing; I needed to do.

I reached out, pulled her to me, and kissed her. The best thing is she kissed me back. God, I missed her lips. As we broke from the kiss, I said, "I need to talk to you."

She nodded as she took my hand and led me into her room, then closed the door.